Banggood, VAT, import duties

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've bought from them once. A piece of electronics shipped from China. It took a few weeks but all was OK. I'd use them again without hesitation.
I haven't seen the router plane but the hongdui products I have seen are very well made for the money.
If ever in doubt over an online seller, just use a bank account or paypal that is "disposable" if anything goes wrong and don't leave spare money sitting in it.

I've used them a fair amount and never had an issue. Generally for goods that are Chinese sourced in any case such as those little inverters to use 3 phase machinery on my garage supply.

They take credit card payments so no need for burner bank accounts

such as those little inverters to use 3 phase machinery on my garage supply.
hi do you have a link to one of these please as I have a pillar drill I need to either convert to 240 or sell as I have sold my other 3 phase items and now want to reduce my electric bill considerably by offloading the 3 phase supply i currently have at home.

many thanks

Neil.

From what I have gathered it is very much a lucky dip, I got some rulers with stops that are Ok for my intended purpose as I only use them for relative measurement, a freind brought a UPS which went into meltdown under load, I brought some third party batteries for an old PDA which burst the rear cover off the device but luckily they got hot but no ignition and as for buying VFD's I would run a mile, stick to quality units as the extra cost is still less than rebuilding a burnt out workshop, ABB, Mitsubishi or Toshiba are all good. It is very easy to build a cheap VFD by using cheaper components and thining out the firmware but quality and peace of mind come at a price.

The rulers with stops I ordered are great for transfering a distance or repetition but I ignore the scales or markings because if I set both to the same distance and put them back to back there is around 2 to 3 mm difference. You cannot say they are a precision item, just compare to products from Benchdogs and this is evident but then the cost reflects this so in there own way they are quality if used within there limits.

I too have ordered several woodworking items from bangood such as veiko ratchet clamps and t squares along with some engineering squares.
So far I have had no problems with any part of the process or the quality of the products.

I would so much prefer to buy UK made (aka benchdogs or similar), however I just cannot justify the additional expense for what are fairly simple everyday tools such as a t-square or MFT compatible ratchet clamp, and as I do not need .001mm accuracy I don't tend to worry so much about the scale or markings.

I bought one of these yesterday and already have a VAT invoice (sent by email upon request from their website, following the link in their order confirmation email). The invoice shows a VAT number and the VAT breakdown.
I’ve bought from them before and have been very happy with some of the tools. I’ve never had any issues with the invoices (not]r has my accountant).
This one looks like a good one and has been featured in many YouTube videos. It’s also at a very low price now on their website. The same tool is available from the KatzMoses website in the US at a higher price plus you’d have to add import duty from the US.
There is a wait involved in receiving goods from banggood but that’s the cost of making the saving I suppose. I’d recommend

@Paddy Roxburgh

"Hooked On Wood" (YouTube channel/videos & Web site - just Google hooked on wood) does some good and honest reviews of Chinese goods - this router plane included if I remember correctly. He's done a number of reviews on goods from this company - Hongdui. If buying - considering buying - from Banggood then check out his YouTube videos or website.

I’ve always been sceptical about buying from them but ordered a 45 degree router bit for box making. It wasn’t quite 45 sadly!!

The dubious territory is where they are replicating the innovations of others.

Brompton learnt the cost of outsourcing manufacturing to China for cheaper as it also meant the market was flooded with clones of their designs.

It’s up to you what you choose to support - does feel like we can’t collectively bemoan the loss of engineering and manufacturing in the uk whilst also supporting what has driven a lot of the downscaling.

I suspect the main problem with Banggood etc. is when things don't go quite right it's difficult or impossible to sort out. My daughter bought me a live centre with six different noses/tips (call them what you will.) When it arrived there were three pairs, and we gave up trying to get replacements. Despite photos, they wanted exact measurements, who knows why. It would have cost them pence to put the missing bits in the post, but I think they rely on people's not being willing to stand the return postage or the bother. I might have persisted had the order been mine, but I didn't want to cause my daughter any more work.

The dubious territory is where they are replicating the innovations of others.

Brompton learnt the cost of outsourcing manufacturing to China for cheaper as it also meant the market was flooded with clones of their designs.

It’s up to you what you choose to support - does feel like we can’t collectively bemoan the loss of engineering and manufacturing in the uk whilst also supporting what has driven a lot of the downscaling.

Idk Tom, I mean the innovation of this style router plane goes back to Stanley in 1884, although even they were proceeded by Preston (the Preston pattern was quite different). My rather old record router plane is an exact copy of the Stanley, this Hongdui router is slightly different (the adjustment mechanism). I don’t think Stanley even make router planes anymore, so any new one I buy will be a copy.
If there were a viable UK made alternative I would consider it to support local industry, but afaik there isn’t. I don’t have any more connection to Canada (Veritas) or the USA (Lie Nielsen) than I do to China (Hongdui), so it’s all the same to me.
A fair question is why I want to replace my Record.l? The thing is, I don’t, but I’ve long wanted 2 so I can leave one set on the final measurement and use the other to creep up on it. There is a depth stop of sorts on the record, but it’s not at all accurate, so I looked for a used one, but they seem to go for £60-£100 and this Chinese one, if I believe the reviews has a really good depth stop and is not a lot more, so I’m going to give it a go.
Oh, I ordered it this morning and got a VAT receipt, so now I’m just waiting to see if I get the plane.

What forgot to mention/confirm is that you only pay for shipping if you spend under £40 ,, and certain larger items have a surcharge for shipping but that’s taken when you order and pay . Unlike woodpeckers ( USA) I’ve never had to pay import duties or other taxes .edit

Also they are selling bridge city tools that appear to be the genuine tools judging by the prices ..

I suspect the main problem with Banggood etc. is when things don't go quite right it's difficult or impossible to sort out.
That is where you realise that customer service has a value. I brought an item from Woodworkers workshop and it failed to meet my expectations, not a high value product but all the same I sent it back for a full refund with no quibbles. This is why buying from reputable suppliers is often better than taking a gamble with someone on the other side of the planet. Some of these outlets are even using the same photographs as the original item, looks identical because the image is identical but when you get it rather than red anodised alloy you get red plastic !

The major issue is the uncertaintity, there will be some products that will be ok but tread carefully, we know these countries can produce really high quality but all to often hidden amongst tack. A while back I was looking for a logic analyser to replace my large outdated 64 channel Tektronix unit, on good advice and reviews I brought one from a chinese company and it is really top notch, works really well and so far cannot fault it apart from the probes are a little flimsy.

Latest posts

Back