Bandsaw Suggestions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone suggest a bandsaw which is capable of sawing 6" oak, but also has a minimal footprint/weight? I'm after secondhand to keep costs down.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark

I'm afraid you are not going to get a "good deal" on a bandsaw for £100 - even second hand. Raise your budget to £200 and you might be in with a chance.

Richard

thomvic":rrvy3jxd said:
I'm afraid you are not going to get a "good deal" on a bandsaw for £100 - even second hand. Raise your budget to £200 and you might be in with a chance.

I think you'll find it quite possible to get a decent bandsaw for £100 - decent for the money, at least; in working order and fairly reliable. You may have to keep a look out for a little while, but they're around.

I just don't think you'll find it possible to get a decent bandsaw with a 6" cut depth for £100. The small models available second-hand for that kind of price tend to top out around 10cm/4".

JakeS":1bhh4fr1 said:
thomvic":1bhh4fr1 said:

I think you'll find it quite possible to get a decent bandsaw for £100 - decent for the money, at least; in working order and fairly reliable. You may have to keep a look out for a little while, but they're around.

I just don't think you'll find it possible to get a decent bandsaw with a 6" cut depth for £100. The small models available second-hand for that kind of price tend to top out around 10cm/4".

Jake, just how pedantic can you get? I was responding specifically to Marks query which clearly requires that to be a "good deal" it must be able to cut 6" thick oak. In that context my answer is probably correct - as you seem to agree in your last sentence.

Richard

thomvic":2cah79tr said:
Jake, just how pedantic can you get?

I don't know, how unnecessarily defensive can you get?

There are plenty of small bandsaws around in that price range; a lot of eBay sellers, for example, don't bother to mention things like cut depth in their adverts - maybe because they don't think it's important information, because they figure all bandsaws are the same size, whatever.

One poster has already said "any half-decent bandsaw"... I don't know what the OP does or doesn't know about bandsaws, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find saws advertised as having a 1HP motor and still not having a 6" cut depth; I'm just pointing out that it's an important thing to look for when you're buying, because whatever impression may have been given in this thread previously, it's not the default for all bandsaws to be able to cut 6" anything.

Sorry, I thought this was a forum for helping people out with their questions and problems, maybe I shouldn't bother trying to help next time.

Mark, I think your best chance of a bargain is to look out for "old iron", which never seems to attract much interest on Ebay etc.
I got a solid cast iron 14 inch Oliver for £75 on Ebay a couple of years ago with 6 inch cut depth. Resaws hardwood with ease at this depth, with only a 0.5 hp motor.
Trouble is, things like this aren't light. But I don't think light weight is a desirable attribute for a bandsaw.

I dismantled my router table last night so now have more room for a larger machine, plus my budget is now around £200. When I find one is there anything particular I should look out for when I view it? Thanks, Mark

On Ebay now Startrite 352 are best part of £325 - £375
Prices for secondhand quality machines are just rising

Back