Bandsaw Problem - Any Ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillbit

Established Member
Reaction score
The last couple of times I used by bandsaw, it felt a bit like it was struggling to cut. I thought it might just need some new tyres, but having looked at it, there's no obvious give there, so I'm not so sure it is that.

Anyway, went to use it today and it stalled as soon as I fed a smallish piece of pine into it which it would normally sail through. I switched off and removed the wood. Then when I switched it on, it stalled immediately. I opened it all up and checked everything was moving freely, which it was, tried again, and it just seems to start very slowly and struggle to get up to speed (used to just go from 0-60 in nothing flat) or other times it just stalls as soon as it is turned on.

Also, when it does work, it vibrates much more than normal.

I've checked everything I can think of, but nothing seems to be obviously catching. I noticed two of the lower guide bearings are seized, but they weren't rubbing on the blade, so I think that it just coincidence.

The blade is not blunt, and I've tried running it without the table or any of the bearings, with no difference.

I don't know if there could be a problem with the wheels - they seem a bit stiff,and seem to 'jump back' when I rotate them a little way. But I haven't done anything which would have changed their alignment or weighting or anything.

I'm gutted. Other than cutting paper, it's unuseable. I'm still hoping it might be some silly thing I just need to do and it will be fine again..but I'm not that optimistic.

Can anyone think what might be wrong? I took a video of myself rotating the wheels by hand and starting it to hopefully give people a view of what's going on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QoNC5rOPik&feature=youtu.be

Really hoping someone can advise. Even if only to help me explain the problem to Record if I can't fix myself... thanks

Motor Start/Run capacitor? a defective one will give slow or no start without a hand spin to get going and if it also has a run function will give very poor torque when running.

I would guess the motor as well. Maybe pull the belt and see if she fires up OK with no "load." Are the belt or any of the pulleys slipping?

Have you tried turning each wheel individualy without the blade on, to isolate the source of the rapid stop when hand turning? Also try running without a blade as already said.

I tried it without the blade. Wheels turned freely and the motor seemed better but still a bit 'off'

I'll talk to record tomorrow sound like a new belt might be all I need then... but I don't know why that would cause somuch vibration?

Thanks all

Replacing the cap on the motor (may be 2 caps) will cost you no more than £15 and is (almost) always the most likely problem.

Roy

Latest posts

Back