Bandsaw guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bearings but have had a Luna with blocks . I prefer the bearings but then the Luna was very old .

Bearings every time, to the point where I would not buy a saw without them. The old wooden blocks were one thing, but these metal ones... ugh!

Never had bearings, went from a Luna with hard rubber blocks to a Startrite with ceramic 'blocks'. I've never had a problem with them. I suppose the need to keep adjusting the rubber ones was a bit of a chore that I don't miss, but it was the work of moments.

Whatever works - I have one machine with blocks and another with roller guides, and until recently I hjad a Startrite with mehanite (cast iron) blocks. I've also had Chaco guides with Bakelite blocks. Can't say I have a preference one way or the other - they've all worked well enough

Scrit

I've had a Startrite with the cast iron (mehanite) blocks for a few years now and given it some heavy use mainly cutting out woodturning blanks, but some accurate fine cutting at times also, and no problems at all with the guides.

Like the rest of the machine built simply and highly functional to last for years.

Adjustment of the blocks is slightly fiddly, but nothing much to worry about really.

As my first machine had a small Rexon with plastic/rubber blocks which were a pain as they wore so quick.

Cheers, Paul. :D

My old(er) bandsaw uses blocks, initially cast iron which were fine, but I changed them to the self lubricating Axminster blocks which run closer to the blade with very pleasing results. A roller kit is available to fit the machine but it seems to me that the rollers force the guided bit of the blade to be further away from the work than with blocks.

Dennis

Back