Bandsaw blade for veneers advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_G

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to cut my own vaneers (approx 3mm thick x 150mm x up to a meter long) using my Record 350. I will be using sycamore, walnut and european oak - can anyone suggest the most suitable saw blade to do this and suggest what sort of blade tension I should be looking at?

All the best,

Dave

To saw veneers you need a wide hook tooth (or skip tooth although I don't think they're as good) blade running under high tension. I use industrial TCT stuff (Lenox Trimaster III variable pitch 2 to 3 tpi skip tooth) so I can't really advise you on blades, although I've imported a few Woodslicer blades from the USA in the past for use on a Startrite 352 - they work very well but don't have a long life. With a power feeder I can cut sub 1.0mm thick veneers up to 12 inches high.

Scrit

I always use Woodslicer blades from Highland Hardware in the USA for cutting veneer. FWW did a comparative test a few issues ago and they came out tops in that too.

I think as long as you use a sharp coarse (4tpi) blade with high tension then you should be OK I have used Starret, Screwfix and Duraedge 3/8" wide blades to cut veneer and have not found much to choose between them. These 1.0mm thick veneers were cut from 5" thick spalted sycamore With a starret bi-metal blade, as were the 0-1.5mm tapered veneers in the previous pic.

Jason

Back