Bandsaw advice ..... again .....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogmonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have finally decided I can't put off a bandsaw purchase any longer. I am a wood turner but also dable with other woodwork, mainly rustic :) I turn anything from pens to 20" bowls and tend to acquire trees that I size, rough turn and dry. Currently I have a chainsaw and small table saw and have to make do the best I can.

So I am thinking I want something with about 12" depth of cut (more would be nice of course but limited funds and space). I have never used a proper bandsaw but in the past I did a little research. My leaning is towards a second hand Startrite 351 / 352. Realistically what depth of cut will these machines handle? I notice some have rather weedy motors. I am single phase but an inverter is an option although I believe a weedy motor through an inverter is not great? I am probably not going to use the machine for fine woodwork so I'm after a reliable workhorse.

Any tips on what I should be looking for? Any other machines that come to mind? Anybody itching to sell one in the south west?

BW, BM

Back