Band saw wheels alignment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard863

Established Member
Reaction score
On my Record BS350S, I am a little concerned over when the blade tracking on the top wheel is in the centre of the tyre, on the bottom wheel with a wide blade the teeth are just hanging over the edge , I would have thought it too should be on the centre of the tyre.
This is with new blades and the tension is correct and no guides in contact. There is no problem with wandering pulling side ways on resaw or making veneer.
Any comments please would be welcome.

Richard

Hi Steve
Thank you for your advice, It just sewed a little bit of doubt in my mind not seeing it in the centre of the lower drive wheel.
with kind regards
Richard

Hi Bob
Many thanks for the advice, Its nice to know if you buy cheap you can get it to work like a multi thou machine
with kind regards
Richard

I forget what it's called right now (senior moment) but what it is is the two wheels are not inline with each other so as long as you have the tracking correct on the top wheel don't worry about the bottom wheel you will get this effect.

Grayo":2f7wz4u3 said:
I forget what it's called right now (senior moment) but what it is is the two wheels are not inline with each other so as long as you have the tracking correct on the top wheel don't worry about the bottom wheel you will get this effect.

coplanar

custard":2lyh56ep said:
Grayo":2lyh56ep said:

coplanar

That's the word.........Cheers

Richard863":4ffuzfhx said:
Hi Bob
Many thanks for the advice, Its nice to know if you buy cheap you can get it to work like a multi thou machine
with kind regards
Richard

Bandsaws are a bit of an exception to the "get what you pay for" maxim. Of all the woodworking machines I'd guess bandsaws offer the best value for money, and even modestly priced models used sensibly can deliver excellent results. For many years I had a Record BS300 and about a year ago I upgraded to a Hammer 4400, it's nice to have a bit bigger table but in all honesty I can't say that it's been a transformational upgrade, getting the right bandsaw blade seems almost more important than the machine you put it on!

That's interesting feedback because that's precisely what I'm in the middle of doing! Only difference being I'm getting the Axy 16" trade model rather than the Felder machine. The Hammer does look good though. My requirements are about capacity not quality because I too have had fabulous delivery from the BS300, its been a tremendous piece of kit. But boy oh boy are your comments about blade quality accurate. Also tension is another I would add to that. But getting that extra thou out of precision guide setting I've found to have very little impact on cut quality. The discovery of Tuffsaws some time ago was a big breakthrough in both quality and ease of ordering/availability for me.

Out of curiosity, did you review the saw from Axy (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... 0b-bandsaw) versus the Hammer and if so what conclusions did you draw?

Random Orbital Bob":us9epexw said:
That's interesting feedback because that's precisely what I'm in the middle of doing! Only difference being I'm getting the Axy 16" trade model rather than the Felder machine. The Hammer does look good though. My requirements are about capacity not quality because I too have had fabulous delivery from the BS300, its been a tremendous piece of kit. But boy oh boy are your comments about blade quality accurate. Also tension is another I would add to that. But getting that extra thou out of precision guide setting I've found to have very little impact on cut quality. The discovery of Tuffsaws some time ago was a big breakthrough in both quality and ease of ordering/availability for me.

Out of curiosity, did you review the saw from Axy (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... 0b-bandsaw) versus the Hammer and if so what conclusions did you draw?

Bob, in 2012 I built a new workshop around Felder machines, compatibility issues for things like dust extraction and table extension mountings then became a big part in the decision making process, which in turn pushed me towards the Hammer/Felder bandsaw. But to be honest I look at the most demanding application I use a bandsaw for (veneer and laminate cutting) and I can't really see all that much difference between the results I was getting from the Record and the results I'm getting now. So I'm a bit of a bandsaw agnostic, a good fresh blade on a smaller machine gives appreciably better results than an overused mediocre blade on a much bigger machine. Where as, for example, going from a 3hp router table to a 5hp spindle moulder with a sliding table, power drive and Aigner fencing...well that was an upgrade that really made a difference!

Back