Band saw problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vyvsdad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am experiencing a problem with my band saw and could do with some help/pointers.
It is a Startrite 351, you know, on of the old green ones.
Last year I replaced the original broken NVR switch with a Schurter ABDWF150C0 (In case that helps)
Earlier this year the motor stopped working so I had it re wound, but since then it hasn't really been right.
I have had it running, and when it did it was great, but the problem was getting it going.
Every time I push the switch it trips the fuse in the fuse box.

The company that rewound the motor are willing to fix it under the warranty, but to be honest its a pain taking it of the base, loading it into the car, driving it there etc etc and rather hoped that someone here might be able to suggest a solution.

I have no expertise when it comes to electrics and am a little in the dark to be honest. All I an think of is maybe I need a new switch

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If you need any more details I'll try to give them to you.

Thanks in advance

Dan

By trips the fuse I assume you are referring to a circuit breaker.

If this is the case you need to determine if it is an earth fault (wiring short to the machine or motor earthed frame)
Or a current overload because the re-wound motor is taking a higher starting current.

You really need an electrician with a decent test meter to check for earth faults and starting current.

The former needs fixing, the latter may just need a different rated circuit breaker.

By your description that it runs ok once started I would suggest the problem is the latter.

If you have a long extension lead, unwind it off the real and try running the saw through that lead, if it starts without tripping then it points to high start current.

Latest posts

Back