Banana cheddar Bahco chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnimble

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry no pictures (yet) as it was already very late last evening and to frustrating to pull out a camera.

I have a set of them laying around as in the picture below but with instead of the box a plastic case.

XMSCHISEL8.jpg

One of the larger ones I have used a while back to chisel out some hinges. Yesterday I reached for one of the smaller ones to do some pairing but immediately noticed it was not really sharp at all.

After a stroke of 3 or so at my 1000 grit norton water stone a rather huge wire edge or rather burr had already formed. Removed the wire edge at the back only to notice an almost as large wire edge had formed at the bevel again.

Even alternating honing the bevel and the back on my 8000 grit only formed wire edges on the opposite side.

Time to inspect the chisel. The back was about 1.5mm convex. That is a bit much to flatten. Forging the back flat will be a better idea. However bending the chisel to about any shape was fairly easy. Just holding the chisel end to end in both hands and pushing thumbs down on the middle of the length was enough to bent it a centimeter concave.

With some very gentle hand bending and finish flattening with a few strokes on stones the back was now flat. So back at trying to establish a good bevel. But still a large wire edge is easily honed at the opposite side.

So apparently the steel is very soft. Both indicated the wire edge, the easy bendability of the chisel and the lack of a polish on bevel and back or a detectable area of hardened steel.

As a final try (was already nearing 1 pm) pulled out the gas burner and gradually heated the steel red and quenched in water. The chisel is a bit less bendable but still not very good sharpenable. Going to give it another try this afternoon.

That doesn't sound right at all, Bahco's steel is usually pretty good for mass-produced stuff.

Where did you buy them from?

I've got an identical set to yours. I've never experienced anything like you have, infact I found then extremely tough, perhaps you got a rogue one?

tnimble":2gxg343p said:
Just holding the chisel end to end in both hands and pushing thumbs down on the middle of the length was enough to bent it a centimeter concave.

That's insane! Any chisel you can bend with your hands is completely unfit for purpose. I'd send them back without a second thought.

Lord Nibbo":2j54zx1r said:
I've got an identical set to yours. I've never experienced anything like you have, infact I found then extremely tough, perhaps you got a rogue one?

Me too - I was only thinking the other day that they seem to keep a decent edge for a long time.

Cheers

Tim

First to answer a few of the questions. The set was bought around 2004 maybe early 2005 at one of our country's mayor DIY store chains. And indeed Bahco tools are normally of a very reasonable quality.

Back from work I went back int the shop and fired up the gas burner again. This time I heated the last couple of cm of the shisel just further than cherry red and the rest of the chisel (minding the socket type alike mount and the softgrip handle).

I use two hobby buthane propane mixture burners for this. A newer model that has a very nice defined cone flame is used for the tip. The other burner has a much larger and less defined flame with which I heat the tip and rest of the chisel. Watching the glow from the steel and the colour of the flame behind the tool you can accurately enough guess the temperature.

As a quenching media I used oil this time and It very much seems to have done the trick. After quenching the chisel must be tempered. Normally I do this in a kiln, but due to the softgrip handle I this time did flame temper the blade by striking the blade thorugh the flame until the blade is through and though a bit hot. Because this is very hard to control I first cleaned the shisel to a shine with some 000 wirewool. The steel should turn a bit straw coloured and then let it cool behind a low flame.

After a complete cool down I tried to flatten the back. It was already fairly flat (at least the most front part) from the previous attempt. However this time it took a lot of effort to even notice any flattening happening. It worked.

I reshaped the bevel at 22 degrees and then put on a secondary bevel at 25 degrees on my waterstone. Then still at 25 degrees honed at 8000 and did the back. The minute wire edge floated off and I apear to have caressed it against my right hand ring finger as I noticed poudles of blood starting to form on the bench.

After having stopped most of the bleeding from a most minute cut right next to the nail I took dome photo's:

bahco_001.jpg

bahco_002.jpg

bahco_003.jpg

FYI The chisel is a 6mm Bahco chisel. The wood is sycamore burl if I'm correct.

I see that Workshop Heaven are now selling the 1031 range - Bahco’s premium line of bevel edged chisels. Garett Hack has had a set for 30 years and rates them highly. Prices range from £14.50 to £21 dependant on size.

I recently bought some Bahco files and was surprised that they were manufactured in Portugal and not Sweden. It seems that they moved all their file production there in 1992.

Rod

tnimble":m2pipt1m said:
So apparently the steel is very soft. Both indicated the wire edge, the easy bendability of the chisel and the lack of a polish on bevel and back or a detectable area of hardened steel.

No answers, but I may I just congratulate on the thoroughness of your testing, and the eloquence and detail with which you presented it here.

BugBear

Back