Baby changing table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
With the eminent arrival of number two, there was a need to have a second baby changing unit to avoid having to go upstairs to change a nappy. While upstairs number one could be going up the stairs alone or any other mischief they get to :wink:

The design is nothing special, I just made it match the size of the mat we had.

changing_table_1_large.jpg

changing_table_2_large.jpg

You haven't seen much projects from me recently and I think you won't for yet another while :?
CYC

CYC - 'spect this will come in very useful, stick some castors on it and it would make an excellent T trolly...once youv'e finished with all the....... have fun with new arrival - Rob

CYC,

Very tidy job. Makes my 5 foot length of Melamine Chipboard look very second class!

All the best with the new arrival

Les

woodbloke":7quhapek said:
'spect this will come in very useful, stick some castors on it and it would make an excellent T trolly...

Should work well - our first baby changing table was, in fact, a tea trolley with the castors removed. It looked just like the one you have made CYC. Hope all goes well with the new arrival :wink:

Paul

I've been reading the forums for a few days now, but when I saw your post, I just had to sign up.

I completed a baby changing table of my own a couple of weeks ago. I thought you might like to see for comparison. The framework is made from the timber left over from the built-in wardrobes which I removed from my previous house when redecorating, and the rest of the timber is left-over from rebuilding my shed.

I know it's nothing special, but I think it turned out rather well given my limited skills (but excellent selection of tools). It's the first indoor piece of woodwork I've ever done (done building work and decking in the past).

Here's a shot before the shelf.. and the finish (4 coats of Danish Oil & then two of wax polish) went on.

Before.jpg

And here's the finished article.

After.jpg

Hope you all like it. I'm planning on doing some bedside tables next.

Hi there,fecn.

Firstly,welcome to the forum :D
Secondly,very nice piece of furniture - design,construction and finish all look great;and I'm sure it will still be a useful piece when baby has outgrown it.

Andrew

PowerTool":hhcuejz4 said:
Hi there,fecn.

Firstly,welcome to the forum :D
Secondly,very nice piece of furniture - design,construction and finish all look great;and I'm sure it will still be a useful piece when baby has outgrown it.

Andrew

Thanks for your kind words Andrew. I thought it would be useful elsewhere when baby has outgrown it too, so I mounted the top rail on dowels so that it can be removed later. By the time it's all worn out I reckon it should be good as a potting table in a greenhouse or maybe it'll end up in my workshop-to-be :)

Nice job Fecn. I like it. The details on the top are really good and the "drawer" section will be really useful. That's really excellent. Even better when you use only left over would.
I also really like the sides rails on the top table, the way they raise up at the ends. That's classy.

You did take the time to really finish it. I rushed on this project so only 2 coats of Danish oil and paint on the respective parts. I too only used wood I had in the workshop so it was a free project!

If the baby is not there yet I wish you and especially your wife the best of luck. If the baby is there, Congratulations :D

CYC, thanks for the compliments.. I regard it as high praise indeed coming from another Baby-changing table maker. Thank you very much :D

Baby's nearly 5 months old now, and my wife was complaining that our existing nappy-changing facilities (£10 Ikea coffee table) was killing her back. That was all the excuse I needed to buy myself a Router and that's what I needed to make all of the mortices and dado's that hold the table together. (Not a screw or nail anywhere in sight)

As the table got more and more built, I got more and more confident with my new power tools, and tried more and more complicated things.

The bottom rails were done by hand/guesswork/eye.. but didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped due to me not being able to draw a decent looking curve on a sheet of paper. For the top rails, I knocked up a full-size template using Adobe Illustrator, cut with my Jigsaw and rounded over the edges with my router.

The side rails were again a full-sized template I made on the PC so that I could get the bottom of all the holes lined up perfectly. I'm delighted with the way the rails turned out.. but I will forever be annoyed by the fact that I botched the glue-up (due to being required elsewhere for 10 mins at just the wrong time) and the rails lean ever so slightly inwards.

Congratulations on the imminent arrival of your second one.... are you ready for some more sleepless nights again. (Our baby's teething right now, so no sleep for us)

Latest posts

Back