B&Q's MDF cutting service.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this a sly way of saying you are in the employ of the great orange devil??

Aidan

lol yep fraid so!! it's not too bad and the 20% discount is always nice to have.

Afraid we can't cut the lexan etc on the saw, we aren't even supposed to cut solid wood so plastics are out of the question.

regards,

michael

Hi, thanks for the replies. :D

I've mentioned this to a couple of friends who use B&Q a fair bit. The stores local to them that offer the cutting service are still cutting MDF. That, coupled with the comments here suggest that this is just a Chester Warehouse 'initiative' (where they do offer the cutting service) :?

The guy I spoke to in the Chester branch was quite happily cutting some ply for another customer when I spoke to him, so that kind of craps on the 'couldn't be bothered' angle. There were some 'home-made' signs on his desk that said 'We do not cut MDF'.

I've e-mailed B&Q HQ to ask when I can expect the MDF service to be resumed so as not to waste another 90mile round trip. Still waiting to hear back.

I had considered investing in a portable circ saw to cut the sheets down myself out in the carpark. Trouble with that is, it always seems to be pissing it down in Chester whenever I go there! Though I do suppose that a couple of bin bags of soggy MDF mush would fit in my car a lot easier! :lol:

I'm not sure if it's just me, but aside from the cutting issue, I've never had a negative experience with B&Q and I do use them a lot. Ok, so the quality of their redwood has declined in the last year or so for some unknown reason but recently, the bulk of my projects have been in MDF which I've been getting cut to car-portable size at the Chester branch. I don't go there at weekends, if I can help it, because of the horrific number of kids that seem to appear from no-where to go running off down the 'pointy-dung' aisle :roll: :lol:

Of all the timber/builders merchants I've used in the local area, I've not once had an entirely positive experience. Perhaps it's just me expecting too much - I don't know; but I've always been made to feel that I'm just some silly person taking up the staff's valuable time with some request that's just too much trouble. :roll:

Anyways .... [/ramble] :lol:

Cheers,
Bryn :D [/i]

Latest posts

Back