B&Q sales staff :( helpfull or not

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggflan

Established Member
Reaction score
Poped into my local b&q this afternoon to see what was on offer , they are selling Dewalt 703 chop saws for £149 and the Makita model for £99 :shock:

So i comes home thinking wow they were selling the same Dewalt saw for £300 the other week , temptation gets the better of me and i nip back up to buy one , i found an assistant and asked if they have anymore in stock as they only had one on display , she checked the pc and it tells her they have 8 in stock . She then tells me she dont know where they are and after ringing other staff members they cant find them :( ...

As im leaving i look up and see a pallet on the racking with the 8 dewalt saws so i go back and point them out to the assistant , she tells me they have no way of getting them down and dont know when they will be put on the shop floor :? by now im getting fed up as i just want to buy the saw and go home , she gets another chap who tells me they cant use a cherry picker while the store is open (funny as they normally do) and that he didnt know when they would get them down , i asked would they get one down for me when the store closes and i will pop in to collect it tommorrow , he shook his head and pointed out that it was a saturday and the staff like to get away on time when the shop shuts :roll:

Im not happy as i have wasted my time going back up there to buy an item that i can see and very nearly reach only to be told they wont get me one down because the staff want to go and sup some beers instead of making money for the company :shock:

I dont normally moan about such trivial things but this has really annoyed me , the attitude of the staff was really bad and its left a sour taste in my mouth , i feel an email to the bosses may be winging its way from my laptop very soon :twisted: :twisted:

Rant over :shock:

Which one,Mic ? - I've actually found some helpful staff in Morton park,but no-one in Whessoe Road seems to care much ; only time I nearly got a smile out of one of them was when I asked for "fork 'andles" in a Two Ronnies way when looking for some candles..

Andrew

Hi Andrew , was up at morton park , normally they are very helpfull i agree , but not today they just didnt seem to give a monkeys , i asked them if they could get me one down by monday and i even offered to pay for it today and they just kept saying they didnt know when they would be able to get me one down , my point is if the saw is for sale then why have they got none at ground level so someone can just go and pick one up , they will sell a lot at that price so it seems strange that they only have 8 and they are up in the sky where you cant reach them :? I may nip through to stockton in the morning to see if they have one i can actually take with me :wink:

Did you ask to speak to the manager?

If you had and you told him you were going to complain to head office that he wouldn't sell you stock that he clearly has in the store he just might have pulled his finger out.

Maybe the staff there used to work for PC World :(

regards

Brian

As it happens Brian i know the manager quite well Alan (the manager) is a friend of a friend and i did ask if he was in , unfortunatly it was his day off , i have rang him and left a message with his wife who is going to pass on my concerns , i await a call when he returns from the pub later this evening :lol:

As Andrew said the Morton Park store is normally very helpfull it just got me a little miffed when they have the item i want but cant tell me when i can have it :roll:

They did a similar thing with the Triton routers , they had one on the shop floor at £99 but the stock was out of sight , they vowed to get me one for the next day and failed to get one for me , by the time they had them down they had all been sold and my concern is that they will do the same with the saw , i will ask on the buying advice side if it is worth fighting for :wink:

In my experience a big no, I was even inferred to be changing the prices of goods in there once.

The crux of the matter is there will be some very good people that do care in larger places like this, but they will do that through their own motivation, and not through many others.

When you go someplace smaller then they should care more about service, as the owner will be there directing the staff and that impacts them and their business solely, not a share holder.

That said, John Lewis are always good.

to be fair if the saws are on a pallet, with shrinkwrap or strapping securing them, then the only way to get them down, is to use a forklift, which generally we dont use on the shopfloor when the store is open, because there needs to be several banksmen present.

I dont understand though, why they wouldn't drop them down on sunday morning, because we are always working stock on a sunday morning in the store where I work. (Perhaps in England your opening hours are different??)

anyway, just seeing as I work in b&q thought i'd give my two cents :p

slemishwoodcrafts":2u57yrfh said:
to be fair if the saws are on a pallet, with shrinkwrap or strapping securing them, then the only way to get them down, is to use a forklift, which generally we dont use on the shopfloor when the store is open, because there needs to be several banksmen present.

I dont understand though, why they wouldn't drop them down on sunday morning, because we are always working stock on a sunday morning in the store where I work. (Perhaps in England your opening hours are different??)

anyway, just seeing as I work in b&q thought i'd give my two cents :p

Slemish, thats what i was thinking , i know for a fact that some staff start at 8am on a sunday so i cant see why they cant get them down then , that way they would probably sell all of them tommorrow , any empty shelf dont make sales :lol:

have you rang them this morn then and reserved one or anything..

i was gonna say i've been in morton park loads when the scissor type lift is being used so thought they could have got that and lifted one down for you..
if its a forklift job i understand tho...
no reason whatsoever why they can't get them or one down this morn and put it to one side for you... and at that price. you have stated you wanted one and can't get one only cos they won't get one down for you... its in stock etc so i hope they sort you out...

oh and 2 locals on the forum... nice...

Hi , yep i rang the manager at 8 this morning and he rang the store to get one down so all good , he was not too happy with the staff :shock:

Anyway just been setting it up in the workshop and first impressions are very good :D

What i dont get is why they only got one down and not all of them , im sure they would sell them on a busy sunday :?

MickCheese":nqdu4x7q said:
the_g_ster":nqdu4x7q said:
That said, John Lewis are always good.

Is that because John Lewis is a cooperative? Owned in part by the employees.
Dunno about that, but it was certainly noticeable that John Lewis in Milton Keynes was about the ONLY shop in that wonderful city where you got decent service. But strangely, the JL in Aberdeen seems to be the only shop in that city where you DON'T get good service :(

Have to say, I have generally experienced woeful service at the local B&Q - unhelpful staff in general - again completely opposite to the local JL whose staff are excellent.

eggflan":23wvs5qc said:
Hi , yep i rang the manager at 8 this morning and he rang the store to get one down so all good , he was not too happy with the staff :shock:

Anyway just been setting it up in the workshop and first impressions are very good :D

What i dont get is why they only got one down and not all of them , im sure they would sell them on a busy sunday :?

very good sunday then... new toys AND time in the shop playing with them lol...

which side of town do you live then... will have to sort a pub meet or something... i don't have a working shop yet so nothing exciting to see...

I think of a quote I once heard

"It's no good pointing at it sir the computer says we haven't got any"

sums it up nicely don't you think

computer says noooo...

sums up the skills and attitudes of quiet a few of the people that work in places like that...
councils are the same... 'can i pay my council tax monthly over 12 months?'
'well the system can't work it out as it does it over 10 months'
'its x per month tho...'
'i can't work it out cos the computer....' and so it went on...

yo_chuci":11yt36wl said:
which side of town do you live then... will have to sort a pub meet or something... i don't have a working shop yet so nothing exciting to see...

Did someone say pub , hang on while i get me coat on :lol: :lol:

Harrogate Hill end of town for me , what about yourself "yo"

Last week a customer was killed in a B&Q when a pallet fell on him.

Its just possible the B&Q folks you encountered had been acting on a temporary emergency order not to touch stuff on shelves.

eggflan":3ph21jwh said:
Did someone say pub , hang on while i get me coat on :lol: :lol:

Harrogate Hill end of town for me , what about yourself "yo"

Yarm Road for me - although my "local" is the Foresters at Coatham,so am often passing Harrowgate Hill.

Andrew

springfield for me....
but swmbo has a horse off burtree lane so go up the every single damn day lol...
i'm not a local tho moved here to get house with swmbo so don't know area's of darlington too well, always ask swmbo where roads are and area's of town just yet...

oh and how are we all...

33... and its Al...

Latest posts

Back