B&Q HVLP sprayer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_N

Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Performance Power HVLP sprayer from B&Q after reading the good reports about it on this forum. So far I have only tried it out with water-based MDF primer but I have to say that I am impressed with how well it has performed. Much less overspray than I got with the gravity fed gun that came bundled with my compressor. Philly's review has already covered the set up and use of the gun but i was wondering what those of you who use spray finishes use for shielding your work from dust (and protect the work shop from impromptu colour changes). Do you have dedicated spray booths, knock down cabinets that sit on the workbench or, as I did last night, use a large cardboard box in its side?

i've been playing about with the spraygun over the last few days too. I'm thinking of using one of those cheap plastic greenhouses to store the painted items inside to help keep the dust off.

As for screening off an area, cheap shower curtains from asda and the wire track from ikea, cheap and easy :wink:

I had to do some spraying of sealer onto some Travertine floor tiles once. I didnt want dust settling on them so i found a cheap Gazebo from Wilkinsons at the time £10. I used some lightweight polythene to wrap around the sides and the door was just a slit that i could slide through. Worked a treat and used it many times. DONT FORGET VENTILATION THOUGH.

I did think about shower curtains and that might well be the way I go. We do have a collapsible gazebo for the garden but it is too big to set up quickly...we do have some spare detachable side walls that might work as screens though.
My first attempts with the B&Q HVLP look pretty good now that the pieces are dry. I was worried about the cut edges of the MDF swelling and looking rough after the paint was applied but so far no problems. I sanded all the machined edges with 240g wet 'N dry before applying the primer and they have stayed very smooth. I will sand everything back with 240g tonight and second coat with primer before moving on to undercoat and top coat. I was intending to clear coat with acrylic (water-based) floor varnish. Has anyone any experience of spraying this type of finish? I'm mainly thinking of whether it can be thinned enough for efficient spraying without breaking down.

Latest posts

Back