Quantcast

B&D Mouse

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Dr. Thrax

Established Member
Reaction score
I know the Mouse from Black & Decker can be frowned upon in professional circles but I love it and find it great for finishing projects. What I don't love is the poor quality B&D sanding profiles that don't last long at all. My tip: Buy a roll of hook & loop backed sand paper of the grade/s you use most and cut your own profiles, remembering to punch dust holes for the dust to be extracted properly. I find diy profiles last ten times longer than B&D efforts. So there you have it :D

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Tsk. I'd have passed that tip onto my dad - if only his Mouse hadn't gone up in smoke a couple of years ago... :roll: :wink: Good tip though, 'cos I seem to remember those B&D ones cost a packet too. :(

Cheers, Alf

Alan L

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I have always thought the B&D mouse to be one of the worst tool purchases I have ever made. I'll see if your tip improves the mouse.

Dr. Thrax

Established Member
Reaction score
Ha, ha spoke too soon, the Mouse flashed and popped and gave out a wif of nasty niffs and died this morning, RIP B&D Mouse, still under warranty but I think a refund would be more useful :roll: :D

Pete W

Established Member
Reaction score
Must be dead mouse day - mine went the same way (bang, flame, stinky smoke) at approximately 11:20 this morning.

Easily the worst tool I've ever owned, and probably the last B&D tool to stand a chance of winning that particular title. Mine was about four years old, but I doubt it had done more than 30 minutes of honest work in all that time.

Dr. Thrax

Established Member
Reaction score
You did well to get four years out of it, mine went after only four months but it has worked hard and, sadly, did a good job in that time but obviously not designed for hard graft. I had the small hand held version, it's bigger brother is horrendous to use, vibrates and eats profiles.

I doubt I'll ever buy another B&D item, shame, as I did like the Mouse :cry: :)

woodshavings

Established Member
Reaction score
My B&D mouse has lasted about 3 years, gave good service but very noisy and lots of vibration.
I have now changed it for a Metabo DSE 300. Now that is nice, much quieter, good extraction etc. :)

Dr. Thrax

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah, Metabo, I can but dream atm :D The annoying thing is I liked the mouse as it fitted comfortably in my hand and did everything I asked of it apart from lasting. There are several models that vary in size and vibration, I could put up with the vibration from the small mouse but the big one was no joy to use imo :)

sawdustalley

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a DeWALT palm sander for my "finishing" work. As you said, professional tools are always that much better than DIY jobs.

When it comes to sanders, I like ones that dont wobble your hand off :D

Dr. Thrax

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree, professional tools do last a lot longer generally but although I did consider a palm sander I was really looking for a 'jack-of-all-trades-sander with lots of options for getting into tight corners, awkward profiles etc and within my budget. The Mouse fitted what I needed and at a price I could afford but it's time to save the pennies and go for something with more guts and a better pedigree I think :D