Axminster TS250 for first table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisCA

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings from Finland. I'm building a house + garage at the moment , while it's been mostly contractors who built it I've had chances to do work myself and I find it quite enjoyable actually. I'd like to build furniture and similar projects mostly, one of my dreams is to build my own office desk in the future.

I am now looking to purchase a table saw in the future and I've been looking at the Bosch PTS and GTS 10 series, and the AEG TS250 as well, the AEG saw was probably in the lead until I read about the axminster TS250 which I've read a few good things about, and it's 80kg with a cast iron top. I get the impression this might be a good first saw I wouldn't have to replace for years. Also I understand you can extend the abilities of table saws with things like table sleds and extending the work area for suipport etc, etc.

Is this a saw you would recommend for a first time hobbyist for making furniture?

I have the TS 200 and I have found this to be a good little saw after some fettling. The only problem I have had with it is the table slots are not a standard size so I had to use the supplied mitre fence (which I found to be useless) I bought the sliding table which I think transforms the saw.

Same as Mick i have the TS200. I agree the supplied mitre fence is a pile of poop and if you have the room the sliding fence is the way forward. I was in the nuneaton store friday and they had both the TS200/250 on display and the one thing i did notice was the side extension tables. They were flat :shock: not the steel bananas that were previously supplied and they also seemed to be a thicker gauge steel than before. :)

A few years ago I had a TS200 and I must confess I sold mine after about 8 months. There were 2 reasons:

1. The side extension table was like Mount Vesuvias ie bowed towards the middle. Axy kindly replaced it but the replacement was more like Krakatoa! They fessed up that all their extension sides were like that in the end and I suspect they may have got on to the factory because I've heard better reports some years later through this forum (including Carl's above). That side extension was pressed steel. In the end I put a piece of flat chipboard in its place before I sold the saw.
2. The motor was so underpowered it struggled to rip through oak and frequently stopped dead in the cut.

At the time I had just built my house and was building lots of built ins and various bits of oak furniture and it just wasn't either accurate or man enough for my purposes so I kind of pigeon holed it as a toy to be honest. Having read many reports on it over the years since, it has definitely evolved so maybe they've fixed some of my disappointments with it.

I have the basic TS-200, it is a good workhorse with a bitof settling.

I would agree about the non standard mitre slots (copies of the Kity table saw of which this is a clone) but if you make a sled it is not a problem and I would consider replacing the fence if it is as mediocre as the TS 200.

I bought the Axminster band saw upgrade fence, which is ridiculously easy to fix and adjust.
almost complete TS 200 workstation.jpg

I would probably buy the TS250 if I was in the market now, for it's superior cutting depth.

Attachments

• almost complete TS 200 workstation.jpg
    almost complete TS 200 workstation.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 6,304
Oh that's interesting, I wasn't sure it fit the table saw since it said it was for their bandsaw. Looks like the 250 that could do most things I could ask of it for a good while into the future. Lets hope the shipping won't be too costly.

There's a chap on YouTube called Savvas Papasavvas, from the UK, who has the TS200 and has fitted the Axminster bandsaw fence. Well worth a look as he has upgraded his mitre fence and built some useful accessories. I am sure most of his modifications will work with the TS250.

Good luck.

Slight deviation here, sorry. But does anyone who has upgraded their mitre gauge from the TS200 want to sell the original? As I think it will fit my Kity bandsaw. I currently have a thread in the wanted section.

mark

I have another question about this.

Mickfb":123z3ymm said:
I have the TS 200 and I have found this to be a good little saw after some fettling. The only problem I have had with it is the table slots are not a standard size so I had to use the supplied mitre fence (which I found to be useless) I bought the sliding table which I think transforms the saw.

I assume you are referring to this product right?
[axminster domain]/axminster-hobby-series-ts-250m-sliding-table-kit

Tim_H":123z3ymm said:
I bought the Axminster band saw upgrade fence, which is ridiculously easy to fix and adjust.

And you are referring to this one?
[axminster domain]/axminster-rip-fence-upgrade

Could either of you tell me more about these upgrades, one aids cross cutting and one improves ripping ability, that much I am getting. I'm not quite sure which one I'd have more use for. I've had plans to extend the work surface myself and build my osn cross cutting sled so perhaps the rip fence upgrade is more of use to me, seems harder to make such a thing at home. Unless I am missing something.

Sorry about the weird links, do not have permission to post links.

DennisCA":pu0wmq6u said:
I have another question about this.

Mickfb":pu0wmq6u said:

I assume you are referring to this product right?
[axminster domain]/axminster-hobby-series-ts-250m-sliding-table-kit

Tim_H":pu0wmq6u said:

And you are referring to this one?
[axminster domain]/axminster-rip-fence-upgrade

Could either of you tell me more about these upgrades, one aids cross cutting and one improves ripping ability, that much I am getting. I'm not quite sure which one I'd have more use for. I've had plans to extend the work surface myself and build my osn cross cutting sled so perhaps the rip fence upgrade is more of use to me, seems harder to make such a thing at home. Unless I am missing something.

Sorry about the weird links, do not have permission to post links.
I would have a look through his videos on here and see what you think. He covers all of the above in his various videos. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0yFbiJ3ZRI

Dennis,

Yes this one for ripping, although I note it is out of stock at present.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-rip-fence-upgrade

I have made a shorter fence that will slot over the long fence to help prevent kickback and I have also made a very simple tenon jig that you can run along the fence.

IMG_20140423_170638.jpg

I will probably make a simple spline jig to run along the fence as well.

regards,

Attachments

• IMG_20140423_170638.jpg
    IMG_20140423_170638.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 6,066
carlb40":34inwxw9 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0yFbiJ3ZRI

Ahh, based on that video it looks like the rip fence is not actually meant for the table saw unless you drill & tap it to fit, which is sadly beyond my abilities for the moment. It does look like the more useful ability out of the two options however. Very good tips in that video overall.

Another question, can the TS 250 accommodate stacked dado blades? I read that smaller saws might have issues with this.

Dear Dennis,

I think it is very unlikely that it will take Dado blades as very few saws available in the UK have a long enough table for stacking Dado blades.

You would need to tap your cast iron table to fit the upgrade fence but it is easy to do.

regards,

I looked at the 250 at my local store today

lots of good points and a few downers

it would be good if u could remove the sliding table on the left easily
the guard was not the best and the bristol lever on it was on the fence side which prevented a narrow cut
the stick on ruler was lifting already

also had the 200 there and i noticed the fence tightening screw had left indentations on the front edge of the table
i guess that the same will happen to the 250, and thought to myself that over time this would cause the fence to lock into a dent eventually
the levers on the sliding table also got in the way when trying to adjust the mitre angle

only silly bits that put me off a bit, as apart from than it looks that it is a good bit of kit

the sliding table was so smooth
the rise and tilt were positive
just my first impressions

all said i may still consider it , as i need a TS upgrade soon

Steve

Steve have a search for the axi ts200 on here and google. There was a user that made a couple of simple brackets to locate / hold the sliding carriage and is was easy to remove / refit without having to adjust anything. :)

Tim_H":19xai5tp said:
Dear Dennis,

I think it is very unlikely that it will take Dado blades as very few saws available in the UK have a long enough table for stacking Dado blades.

You would need to tap your cast iron table to fit the upgrade fence but it is easy to do.

regards,

So maybe a stupid question, based on your reply it sounds like you can't even put a single dado in there, but how do you make dado cuts on this table saw without dado blades?

Latest posts

Back