Axminster SDS100 Dust Separator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nickson71":qn4u0aw9 said:
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum

a while back there was a long thread on extracting MDF dust which went into the whole extraction thing in detail I think it maybe a good idea for you to look at it as I guess it may answer most of your questions

you can find it HERE

hope this helps

Ian

Hi again thanks for your advice - I have struggled through pages and pages of this guys site and it's amazing what work he has done.

Trouble is i'm still none the wiser really. I think i'll need to go to uni for a few years to understand it all LOL

It looks as a rule of thumb like i need to have all 6inch smoothwall metal ducting to nearly every machine and to make my own dust ports for each machine - and not use filters at all - just blow it outside and don't worry about the heat loss from the workshop and hope for the best!!

I still havnt worked out the complexities of cyclones and how big a motor i need- no one seems to sell cyclones in this country?
basically according to this site ALL of the hobby woodworking extractors are a waste of money?
thanks
Mike

Ok, so I've re-read through everything I can find about dust extractors on this forum and also the Bill Pentz website - but the problem is that I still have a problem :p

I'm going to be putting the extractor in a cubicle outside so I no longer need to worry about cylones and fine filter bags and all the other problems that come with it being housed in the workshop. But the 3 points I do need to worry about are:

1) Noise
2) Airflow
3) Price

It needs to move atleast 1000m^2 per hour but being that it's going to be outside my workshop in a small purpose built breeze-block cubicle it needs to be quiet... very quiet.

Having looked through a great number of extractors a new problem surfaced - I don't know how loud these things are going to be. To give an idea of how quiet I need it: I want to be able to talk at a normal level over it.

So again I ask for your help. Any suggestions of a quiet extractor with airflow above 1000m^2 per hour will be very greatfully received.

Cheers,
Davy

Davy putting the extractor outside solves very few problems and creates noise and fine dust. The current extractor design does not allow for a baffle to be fitted. If you look at the cyclone continued thread you will see the baffle I made using an idea on the Pentz's site. The baffle sits between the cyclone and the filter so that most of the dust has ben separated else it will clog very quickly. To get to your flow rate the motor will have to be at least 3HP or more and you have to prevent the loss of flow that occurs in the dust extractor because of the lack of airflow due to the bags.
A 3HP motor in a dust extractor does not allow you to stand next to it and talk!! The 40m2 filter I found reduced the noise of the airflow.
I reduced the diameter of my cyclone from 18" to 14" , as is suggested on the Pentz's site to increase the flow rates with a 3HP motor ( It appears to work).
You would have to build the noise reduction into your shed and increase the top bag area of your dust extractor to keep up the flow rates.

Thanks for the helpful reply Barry, the fine dust outside doesn't really bother me since it will be outside not in my workshop and consequently not in my lungs. The noise on the other hand will bother other people, if I was to have an extractor as loud as the one I have now.

I've found 1HP extractors that move more than 1000m^2/hour so I don't really think I need a 3HP extractor since I won't be having cylones and I also dont have huge runs of ducting. I intended to install the largest filter bag I can to increase air flow but since it will be outside the fine dust won't really be a problem so I'll just be getting a 5 micron bag or something around there.

My main question though is still if there are any extractors that are known to be quiet and move above 1000m^2/hour?

If you build a cubicle outside (which incedentally is what i intend to do)
Why use a filter at all?
My idea is to have the motor inside the workshop just pumping the chips and dust into a large cubicle outside.of course the air must have a way out of the cubicle near the the top (probably about 6 to 12 inch diameter)
the very light stuff will be blown out of the cubicle and anything heavier will settle and i'll shovel it out every once in a while and compost it?
with no back pressure from a filter hopefully i'll get better airflows.

does this sound silly?

Mike

Nope, I totally understand your logic, but I'd rather use a filter and bags so I don't end up breathing in all the dust when I shovel it out, and also so I don't have to bother shoveling it out :lol:

davy_owen_88":2dwif5mi said:
Nope, I totally understand your logic, but I'd rather use a filter and bags so I don't end up breathing in all the dust when I shovel it out, and also so I don't have to bother shoveling it out :lol:

But I dont mind the shoveling and I'll wear my electric filter thingy while i do it.

But apart from that you think my logic is ok?

Mike

Mike your logic is correct but you will be surprised the volume of dust that goes to the top bag - more if MDF is being cut.
Barry

Latest posts

Back