axminster saw sropped working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixy

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning folks.my saw stopped working yesterday ,I was about to discard I it when I thought things might not be as bad as I thought. When you switch there is a warring sound but no action .I can only find 1 brush and that seem alright the belt seems tight, can anyone think what it might be Mal (Hull)

Going on what you say I would guess the capacitor is knackered. If the saw is still under warranty Axminster will replace it or better still give you a refund and then you can find something better. I hope you get a good result.

pixy":fmsq11pe said:
....When you switch there is a warring sound but no action .I can only find 1 brush and that seem alright the belt seems tight, (Hull)

First off if it's a universal motor (brushes and commutator) then there will be two on opposite sides of the motor housing.

First action disconnect any belt.
Does motor then spin with no load?

If it does then look further along the linkage chain for a seized bearing or dust jammed linkage.

If not, then check both brushes and motor spindle for free movement (but as you say the motor hums [warring sound] I guess brushes are still making contact)

Note:-
the above comments are made with no knowledge of your machine but based on basic fault elimination processes.

When you say it makes a warring sound do you mean the motor is actually running but no action is taking place or is the motor humming and trying to go but won't rotate?

If the saw uses an induction type motor (no brushes) and uses a capacitor to start a faulty capacitor can make it hum and not rotate, if giving the motor shaft a 'twirl' on switching on would indicate a faulty capacitor but on small motors capacitors don't often go faulty.

If it uses a carbon brush motor generally speaking unless something is jammed up stopping the motor from turning this type of motor normally is just dead or runs erratically and noisily but will actually rotate to some degree.

Very difficult to make any diagnosis without knowing what sort of motor is, knowing the model of saw or actually seeing the device.

Back