Axminster Saw Horses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morfa

Established Member
Reaction score
Just seen these[1] new saw horses on the axminster site. I've been making do with a workmate and a homebuilt saw horse (first thing I ever made) for cutting plywood with my tracksaw for a while now. I have lots of issues supporting sheets properly to make cuts and it's often a right sod. Coupled with the fact they're not the same height as well. As my workshop is rather small, I do all sheet cutting outside on the lawn. So I've been looking for a compact way of cutting sheets for a while now. My previous plan was to buy a couple of the keter workbenches, but these are more compact and slightly cheaper. I'll probably keep the WorkMate for the house, but the saw horse will probably have to go. Which will be hard as it's got a certain sentimental value.

I have see the 'sore hoarses' made out of a sheet of ply which are on this forum. But that involves effort and for £90 they seem good.

I note in the reviews there's a comment about them not actually fitting 45mm wood, which could be a sod. Does anyone have one?

Any thoughts? Anyone know of any alternatives? Anyone got one?

[1] - http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... air-103349

I have another brand of these, painted yellow, but they look identical. They are absolutely brilliant. I put very large oak beams on them for all my prep and jointing operations. Easy to adjust, tough as old boots. Heavy duty. Highly recommended.

Edit - mine are Toughbuilt C700 (ie the heaviest duty one). Here is the review that made me buy them for framing work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-vv1-SjxsA

Screwfix also sell them.

They do look good, but do you need something that heavy duty? I guess it depends what work you do, if you are only cutting sheet goods these are overkill, if you do timber framing with large beams, they are probably perfect.

I use 2 workmates myself and clamp doors, boards, or pieces of timber to make a work surface to suit my needs at the time.

I'm a bit concerned they say do not stand on them.
Any saw horse that can't double as a hop up is not going to be that useful.

Why not make another homemade one then you have two saw horses and two hop ups, I use mine everyday they also fold up to store in my van,
Paul

AJB - I like the look of those, bit more expensive but even better.

Rorschach - The portability and compact nature is a real selling point. Don't mind so much about the durability, but at the same time it means it'll last a long time, which is good.

slate - The homemade one takes up too much space in my very small shed.

Rorschach":3i0n1tnc said:
They do look good, but do you need something that heavy duty? I guess it depends what work you do, if you are only cutting sheet goods these are overkill, if you do timber framing with large beams, they are probably perfect.

I use 2 workmates myself and clamp doors, boards, or pieces of timber to make a work surface to suit my needs at the time.

The benefit is it can also be turned into a workbench. I use to own a pair on the stanley fatmax foldables. One day I stacked a little too much timber on them, heard two cracks and the timber hit the deck.

Back