• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Axminster Rider planes (Factory seconds) on sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are those 2 in 1's any good? I'd like to buy a chisel plane to get in tight corners after a glue up, as I don't have one

I had a 3 in 1 of the same make, again, factory seconds. I could never get it to work. But that's my shortcoming, perhaps not the plane's. So, I am of no help to you. 🤣

I guess it's a bad start if the planes are faulty to begin with!
Maybe. But sometimes it is as silly as a small chip or scratch in the handle, or a blemish on the steel etc. It's a lottery, really.

Last edited:
There are photos of the boxes showing the problem with a sticker. The block plane has a cracked casting and that is also shown in the photos but the bull nose plan just has rust in the casting.

There are photos of the boxes showing the problem with a sticker. The block plane has a cracked casting and that is also shown in the photos but the bull nose plan just has rust in the casting.
I hadn't seen that as I just skimmed through the list of the items. Well found!

I have a #90 & a #92, after giving the back of the irons a flat and the frog of the bodies they have been fine over the last 7 years. In fact I often find myself grabbing the #92 rather than one of my woodie rebates most of the time

I had a low angle jack plane that was a factory second - it’s hopeless. The mouth isn’t ground straight and so it’s impossible to get a straight shaving. Everything ends up planed on one side only.

I’m now trying to decide whether to go at it with a file to see if I can improve it, or just throw it away and buy a LN…

I had a low angle jack plane that was a factory second - it’s hopeless. The mouth isn’t ground straight and so it’s impossible to get a straight shaving. Everything ends up planed on one side only.

I’m now trying to decide whether to go at it with a file to see if I can improve it, or just throw it away and buy a LN…
Oh, so it wasn't just me who struggled with one of these.

Are those 2 in 1's any good? I'd like to buy a chisel plane to get in tight corners after a glue up, as I don't have one
Record 077a
You wont look back. Second hand on ebay, be ready to do a bit of fettling, but you'd do that with a lot of new planes.

Here you go, bid on this one. Its got history. You'll see in a photo of the side it says 'war finish'
This is the same as mine. It was made between 1938 and 45 ( from memory) for the war effort and was likely sent to one of the factories making things like the gliders.
A piece of cool history as well as a tool. That floats my boat 🚢
Edit to say: i just googled war finish 077a and i found a page saying that nickle was restricted during wartime and all of the planes produced in that period were stamped with war finish

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220813-231744_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220813-231744_eBay.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back