Axminster multi head live centre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexf

Established Member
Reaction score
I now have an Axminster multi head live centre and find it a wonderful addition to my tools. However there is one part that I cannot for the life of me see how to use it. There is a mini face plate which doubles as a screw chuck http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-30mm-mini-faceplate-for-multi-head-live-revolving-centre-340169 but I cannot see how it can be used since it fits a revolving centre. Can anyone help. I have looked at the Axminster site and cannot see anything about it's use although I know that I would get an explanation if I phoned Axminster.

Has anyone used one of these?

They say

30mm diameter mini faceplate with a central screw which is very useful when turning long stemmed goblets. For use with the Axminster Multi-head live revolving centre.

But I can't for the life of me see how

I would say you mount it in the chuck with scrap wood mounted and turn up a suitable form to support the goblet bowl, a simple cone would suit most forms.

CHJ":3rvl26wi said:
I would say you mount it in the chuck with scrap wood mounted and turn up a suitable form to support the goblet bowl, a simple cone would suit most forms.

That's a possibility - though I do the same with my Sorby revolving centre all out of wood - dispensing with the face plate.

One disadvantage of the Axi one I think is that it's not hollow - so doesn't cater for long hole boring

Yes, I have a Cone and a couple of others with soft pads that slip over the basic revolving centre.

Seems an elaborate item though just for a tail support, be interesting to see an example of it in use for the designers intention.

A visiting turner at my club had a custom made dome shaped nylon head on the end of a revolving centre. This was placed inside the goblet padded out with kitchen roll. Perhaps this is intended to be used in a similar way.

blackrodd":2j220tcs said:
There's an Allen screw locking them in place.
There isn't.

The hole on the top of the centre body is just blind. It is used with a tommy bar in conjunction with a second one on the threaded ring at the front to to help extract the tips from the centre body.

To answer the OP's question;
Yes, I've got this faceplate part, it comes with the complete set.
It's one of those items that is incredibly useful when you have a use for it, then wonder why you never had one before.
You can turn up any sort of weird support shape that helps provide tail support for unusual jobs.
I keep a fairly large drum of wood fitted with a flat face, sometimes just what you need to provide gentle tail support when reverse turning bowls etc.

Rhossydd":2d30eguj said:
blackrodd":2d30eguj said:
There's an Allen screw locking them in place.
There isn't.

The hole on the top of the centre body is just blind. It is used with a tommy bar in conjunction with a second one on the threaded ring at the front to to help extract the tips from the centre body.

To answer the OP's question;
Yes, I've got this faceplate part, it comes with the complete set.
It's one of those items that is incredibly useful when you have a use for it, then wonder why you never had one before.
You can turn up any sort of weird support shape that helps provide tail support for unusual jobs.
I keep a fairly large drum of wood fitted with a flat face, sometimes just what you need to provide gentle tail support when reverse turning bowls etc.

My apologies, you are right, I have tried several times to look at the set in use but it keeps dissapearing!
Then lower down I read the product description, and forgot to correct my silly error.
Regards Rodders

Thank you all for your input. I now see a possible use for it and will try to remember to look it out when I need a special tailstock shape.

I used one of these just the other day to make a flat centre support for metal lspinning. The centre screw doesn't have to be used. I just used the three concentric screw holes to mount a piece of wood on it rather than just the centre screw, although either would have done for my application.

The cup centre is also a useful accessory for these.

Latest posts

Back