Axminster M950

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to become the owner of an Axminster M950. Quite an early model in blue rather than the more modern white ones.

Is there anything I should know about this machine good, bad or indifferent?

It has a mechanical variable speed system. does this work Ok ? Is it heavy on belts?

I've never used a wood lathe before although I've been turning and milling metal for 30 years & more.

Is there a beginners book such as "woodturning for dummies" that is a clear must have or is it best to just get stuck in and make some shavings.

TIA

Bob

Bob, the bible as far as Turning is concerned would be Keith Rowleys Book A Foundation Course in my opinion.

As far as the lathe drive is concerned, belts are not a problem as long as you give the belt and pulleys a clean out and lubricate about once a month.

(grease the motor shaft pulley and dry lube the headstock shaft with PTFE spray, don't worry if spray goes on belt, I never found it a problem.)

Can only agree with what Chas said - after following his advice on the monthly maintenance,I've just changed the belt on my Perform CCBL after 17 months and didn't need to;slight wear on the sides,but nothing excessive.
And Keith Rowleys book is excellent - a good read through should have you making lots of sawdust safely :D

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,
I've just ordered the book second hand. It will match the lathe then. :lol:

I've got more than enough other things to do but I'm sure I'll sneak into the workshop to make a few trial 'round' shavings.

Bob

Bob,

I picked up the white model of ebay and think its a cracking lathe.

My only complaint (which is discussed on here somewhere) is that the if you use a typical faceplate with anything big, the motor endcap protrudes enough for the wood your turning to foul on.

No problem if you use a chuck however. If you do find this a problem axminster do a 'special' faceplate but it's not cheap in comparison to typical faceplates.

I was lucky and a toolmaker friend made me one.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for the heads up regarding faceplate work.
I can easily knock up an extending adaptor as I have a metalworking workshop too! :)

regards

Bob

9fingers":2rwi7i5g said:
Thanks for the heads up regarding faceplate work.
I can easily knock up an extending adaptor as I have a metalworking workshop too! :)

regards

Bob

Or just use a piece of scrap timber 1" or so thick between the faceplate and the blank.

Bob

I went down to the local library and picked up four or five helpful books on turning technique. Well worth a try.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

We only have a small library but I'll give it a go. The main regional libraries are in the town with no useful parking. :cry:

Bob

Back