Axminster M950 headstock bearings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasandrich

Established Member
Reaction score
For all of you with Axminster M950's, my headstock was making a noise and had slight movement, so I decided it was time for new bearings.

There are 3 bearings
2 x 6205Z
1 x 6006Z

These can be ordered from any bearing supplier for about £5 each.

I didn't take any WIP pictures but the replacement should be possible by anyone who has a workshop.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/downloads//m ... tcm950.pdf

P15 has a parts breakdown.

The proceedure is as follows, after removing the power plug from the mains;

Firstly remove the belt cover (3 screws)

Remove the circlip on the end of the headstock shaft
Remove 2 grub screws retaining the static pulley on the shaft, then remove the static pulley from the shaft, followed by the belt
Undo first the locknut then the allen screw locating the sliding pulley to the movement actuator, this is below the shaft. Then slide the sliding pulley off of the shaft. This unit contains a bearing, which I will come back to.
Both the fixed and sliding pulleys were difficult to remove on mine, I used pieces of wood to lever and tap them off.
This reveals another circlip up behind the inner bearing. Remove this circlip, and tap the shaft out towards the tailstock, at the very least use wood to prevent damage, or consider fitting the handwheel, so that the shat will not be damaged.

This will leave, the inner bearing still in the headstock and the outer bearing will probably come out with the shaft. Both of theses bearings now need to be removed, I used an old screwdriver to tap between the bearing and the registration collar, then a big adjustable spanner to tap it down the shaft.

The inner bearing can then be tapped out with a wooden drift from the tailstock side.

Fit the new 6205Z on the shaft, right up to the registration collar. Again I used an adjustable spaner and tapped it with a hammer. Fit the shaft back into the headstock, then fit the other 6205Z from the other side and tap it onto both the shaft and into the housing. I found mine was a little loose in the housing, so I gave the edge of the housing a gentle tap with an old screwdriver and effectively riveted it into the housing, this resolved and movement that was due to the slack fit of the bearing. Now refit the circlip which sits behnd the inner bearing.

The sliding pulley has the 6006Z bearing in it. Tap the bearing out of the housing, remove the circlip and tap it off of the inner part. Fit the new bearing, fit the circlip and tap the outer on. Grease the spindle shaft, fit the sliding pulley, do up the allen screw retaining the actuator and its lock nut. Fit the belt, and the fixed pulley, do up the grub screws and fit the circlip on the end of the shaft.

Whilst at it, slide the sliding pulley on the motor shaft across by hand and grease the motor shaft.

Refit the belt casing, and you are done.

Result on my lathe was smoother and quieter operation as well as smoother easier speed change. Time taken about 2 hours, I bought the 2 6205Z bearings from Axminster at about £8 each and not realising I needed a third bearing I ordered that later from a bearing supplier for about £5

If anyone needs any more information please pm me.

well done Richard, I was concerned that your lathe wouldn't work again : :twisted: twisted:

Latest posts

Back