Axminster low angle block plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone tried or owns an Axminster low angle block plane? I have a Record 09 standard angle block plane, which does what I need it to well enough (fettling architrave mitres, tidying up exposed end grain, etc).

I'm just interested in getting a low angle block plane, I've never owned or used one (which is strange as I've been a joiner for nearly 12 years).

Just wondered if this was ok for the £15 price or should I go for the Stanley 60 1/2? As I mentioned in my line of joinery work, the record does well and it's mainly curiousity thats makes it want a LA block plane. So there's no real need for me to spend loads (so LN's aren't an option :D )

Thanks
Jon

Depends what you want it for. I bought one about a year ago. It comes branded as "Groz" and is fine for the general run of stuff. Doesn't take 100 percent perfect shavings off difficult end grain but I wouldn't think the stanley one would be any better: I suspect you'd have to go for LN or one of the much more expensive makes to get any significant performance improvement. [/u]

Alf has written a review of a Groz block plane. Probably a lot of work to get it fettled into some sort of decent condition.

cheers

George

Back