Axminster closing Nuneaton store

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's sad news for the staff and for customers, I for one will miss it greatly but the last few times I have been there, there has never been more than 3 or 4 people in the store. Twice the mileage to the next nearest.
You cant beat hands on when making a big purchase
I will miss Nuneaton and its helpful staff

Indeed sad as there are few enough stores anyway. Agree entirely with Chief Sawdust Maker that hands on is sometimes essential - I find that true even for smaller purchases when I have a specific task in mind. Staff always helpful.

Gutted - my local store and only 20mins away, I know they aren't always the cheapest, but the staff are brilliant, and the after sales service has always been great in my experience. There are so few 'real' stores left and personally I think the internet doesn't really suit tooling, etc when Hands on or seeing is far better and returning a bandsaw for example isn't something easily done if it turns out not to be what you need... :mad:

I went Saturday to buy a machine. Cant beat seeing it, talking about it and being shown what’s what.

Can’t do that mail order.

charnwood look like they may now get my custom but shame never the less.

Don’t get a huge pile of stuff from axi but just about everything I have had , came from that store..
poor show for folk in the midlands 😢

I dropped into the Basingstoke branch to have one final look around earlier, talking to one of the employees the decision to close came about due to the lease not being renewed by the new building owner who had bought it during the original 10 year agreement. When I asked about the Nuneaton store there was a hint that similar circumstances may be the reason for closing that store too.

Bought a bench top thicknesser from them today, been meaning to for a while, will be very sorry to see them close

I dropped into the Basingstoke branch to have one final look around earlier, talking to one of the employees the decision to close came about due to the lease not being renewed by the new building owner who had bought it during the original 10 year agreement. When I asked about the Nuneaton store there was a hint that similar circumstances may be the reason for closing that store too.
I was told by a very reliable source, that the lease was due and the price increased by 50% - the staff were given virtually no notice and made redundant 😔

Shut that door. Sad news, but really a reflection on non food retailing. I wonder what the future holds for the business.

I feel very sorry for the staff.
For me Axminster has been going down hill for quite some time, mainly with the introduction of their own brand poor quality hand tools and the dropping of high quality tools such as Lie Nielsen, this also applies to some of their machinery.

Sad, 50 miles from me but my nearest. I’ve not only bought loads from them over the years, but bought stuff online from them rather than elsewhere to support a place with a store. That includes a fleet of Festool kit, and several machines. There is no reason for me to keep that loyalty now, and I won’t.
stuart

I visited yesterday (Friday) more out of nostalgia rather than needing anything. A lot of the stock has either been sold or packaged ready for transfer to another store. Lots of jigsaws, drills etc still available but most of the Veritas and higher end bits had gone so unable to make the most of the 20% discount across the board. Something of a sad visit as I used to get quite inspired when I visited but in the hour I visited, there were no more than 2 or 3 other customers.

Back