Axminster AWSMS10 Sliding Mitre Saw and Stand - £138.94

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed this on the back cover of the latest issue of Good Woodworking and thought that this might be the kind of offer that interests someone.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-AWSMS10-250mm-Slide-Mitre-Saw-21386.htm

---

I'm actually in the market for a saw (and stand) myself and was wondering if anyone has anything to say on this saw?

I'm prepared to spend around £200 on the saw itself, so you can throw the highly regarded SIP saws in to the equation:

ebay link

I was gonna try and knock a simple jig together for cross-cutting with my circular (only 65mm deep) but decided to make good use of the extra space created having sold my redundant saw bench on eBay.

I'm tempted by the 10" or even 12" SIP models for depth of cut, but I'm wondering how reliable they are when 'locked' at the desired angle. The head on the Axminster saw only slides on a single bar, which concerns me. From the pictures, it looks as though the SIP saws have two?

And what about the stands then. I've seen two SIP models, one of which looks identical to Axminster's sale model. But is it really that much better than the Trade Universal model?

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=mitre+saw+stand

As always guys, thank you. I do value your opinions.

I don't have anythign to say on that particular saw,
but I highly recommend the dewalt 707.
DM tools has it for £235 with the leg stand.
its very easy to use, has very respectable capacities and is solid when its locked down.
The adjustment for for the stops is nice and easy to use to get it bang on 90* and 45*

I have this saw, although admittedly a slightly older model without the trenching facility, and I really couldn't recommend it. The problem I think is the single bar design, it just doesn't provide a rigid enough support for the cutting head which tends to flex slightly during a cut. This makes it very difficult to get an accurate and repeatable cut.

Graeme

I'd echo Greame's sentiments on the Axminster saw, having had a good look at it for a mate last year when he was in the market for something similar. I was distinctly unimpressed.

Mark

Back