Axminster AWBB bandsaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayArdia

Reaction score
Although I've been making sawdust for quite a few years, and am now in my seventies, I'm a relative newcomer to bandsaws. Bought the AWBB about two years ago and although haven't used it much it seems it very satisfactory for my needs.
I have Steve Maskery's DVDs and think they're superb, am now 'working through them, making jigs etc. Next job is his fine-adjusting fence.
Has anyone any plus-or minus comments about this 'Hobby' rated saw? I have mine tensioned á la Steve, to about a mid C twang! Almost at the top of the tensioner thread - hope not too tight!

Don't really get how a mid C twang would work, except for one particular type and length of blade. Change the type of blade and your mid C is useless.

MIGNAL":17tojma1 said:
Don't really get how a mid C twang would work, except for one particular type and length of blade. Change the type of blade and your mid C is useless.
Valid comment! I'm no musician so it's probably some other note, but sounds OK. With a half-inch blade the tension adjuster is very very close to its limit.
Have tried all Steve Maskery's 'tweak tips' and have the saw running OK for ripping and cross-cutting with the fence in normal (ie, not adjusted for drift) position. When I re-saw, even to 75mm, the workpiece 'pulls away' from the fence a little so I suppose I should adjust for drift and use that setting (for this blade) all the time?
Has anyone any comments, good or bad, about this particular Axminster saw? Eg. has it been reviewed in the Woodworking Press?

Ray,

I had one of these for years and once I spent a couple of hours setting it up it served me well. Countless hours of cutting, - some quite deep.

I'd still have it now but an offer to good to refuse on a Startrite made me swap!

Sold it to a friend of mine who is very happy with it as well.

Not aware of any 'formal' reviews, - others may know differently.

I friend of mine who is a professional furniture maker has one and he loves it, don't think I've ever read anything neg about them

Latest posts

Back