Awkward clamping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetloh

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently started a glue up without thinking it through fully and needed to clamp a joint with one outside face which was curved and nowhere at right parallel to the surfaces to be clamped. Panic! Need a shaped block . The first thing that came to hand was one of those waxy/rubbery blocks that you use to clean sanding discs. A quick visit to the bandsaw and voila.

awkward%20clamping_zpshdg5yril.jpg

On the face of it, it shuldn't have gripped at all but it did so brillianltly. One to remember.

Jim

True, but it gripped better than anything else I can think of and can still be used for its intended purpose.

Jim

transatlantic":1kopxzfn said:
Sounds like an expensive fix, my rubber doodah cost me £8!

Was it the Ann Summers Black Friday sale? :oops:

yetloh":bksbuqvw said:
Recently started a glue up without thinking it through fully and needed to clamp a joint with one outside face which was curved and nowhere at right parallel to the surfaces to be clamped. Panic! Need a shaped block . The first thing that came to hand was one of those waxy/rubbery blocks that you use to clean sanding discs. A quick visit to the bandsaw and voila.

On the face of it, it shuldn't have gripped at all but it did so brillianltly. One to remember.

Jim

Now that is worth remembering!

=D>

Plastic chopping boards (especially the approx 1/2" thick one from Ikea) are great for this sort of thing

Always keep the part you've cut off a curve until the end ... It's often useful for clamping because it's almost always a perfect fit.

Nice one! Necessity, mother and all that.

I'd have used a small scrap of pine wrapped in a strip of that rubbery shelf liner stuff. I keep strips of various widths of the stuff off to one side and they come in handy for many a Needs More Grip situations.

yetloh":3ivo49am said:

Jim

Love it - is anyone else thinking that it looks like a big chip shop chip?

Back