AW10BSB2 versus SIP 01332 ... again!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woof

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this comparison has been done before, but I would like opinions from those who have used the saws ... ignoring the difference in price.
I have just seen a SIP today, and what I like about it is:

Sliding carriage moves nicely
Should be able to rip 3 foot to the right of the blade.
Doesn't seem that big ... but is it big enough?
I like the rigid fence and the micro adjuster seems great

What I am less keen on:
To change blades you need to unscrew things before you can get to the blade! I like to change blades dependent on cut
The mitre guage engagement seems a little ropey!

But I have not seen the Axi (although will probably take a drive tomorrow)

Questions:
How accurate is the SIP and how does this compare to the axminster?
What is the Axi sliding table like? The SIP one is built solidly, but it slides off very easily so that it can be stored. Is this also the case?
How easy is blade changing on the Axi?

Many thanks, Mark

woof,

What I am less keen on:
To change blades you need to unscrew things before you can get to the blade! I like to change blades dependent on cut
The mitre guage engagement seems a little ropey!

On 99% of saws you will have to unscrew something to change the blade. I have the 12" model SIP and to change it all you need to do is release a few screws and a nut, which is the same for the Axminster.

Again on most saws the mitre gauge is as you say ropey, this is why there is so many after market gauges, the Incra selection and osborne EB3 being some of the best.

woof,
Questions:

How accurate is the SIP and how does this compare to the axminster?
What is the Axi sliding table like? The SIP one is built solidly, but it slides off very easily so that it can be stored. Is this also the case?
How easy is blade changing on the Axi?

Except for a slightly different sliding table and a few cosmetics points, the SIP and the Axminster are very similar saws and I wouldn't say that either one is more accurate then the other, and to answer your question the SIP is very accurate, so I presume the Axminster is too.

If you do a search there are countless pages on both the SIP and the Axminster. The Fox and the Itech are also clones of the above saws.

HTH

Cheers

Mike

Mark

I looked a both and the Axi is consdierably better build quality in some areas. the sliding tabel is very strong and rigid on the Axi although i sold mine straight the way as i found it was less than useful for the work I do on th saw.

The blade change is easy as the plate is the same size as the SIP ansd there is plenty of room for hands. the clock to hold the arbour when undoing the blade works well.

I would expect that an owner of either would be very happy (I am)

Thanks Mike, Tony,

Ordered the Axi this morning as they promised to deliver before Xmas! Think I was extremely lucky that they were doing a run down my way before Xmas, but I wonder how they will get the thing down the chimney :lol:

It's exciting eh ... thanks for all the threads on here about it.
Wonder how much gap there will be between the blade and the plate ... :wink:

Their service is excellent so there should be no problem with them meeting their delivery . I got a Planer Thicknesser from them and most probably the same table saw early next year.
Let us know how it turns out , Cheers !!!!!

Robert

Hi woof,

I am sure you will be well pleased with your new toy, especially as you will receive it just in time for Christmas :lol:

Obviously wait until you get the saw and judge for yourself, but if I was you the first accessory I would get would be a new mitre gauge. As I said above any of the Incra range, Osborne EB3 (which you will have to order direct from Osborne's in the US (but that is no problem), or even a JessEm-R-Excel will be perfect for your saw.

Cheers

Mike

Hi,
Can I hijack this thread and ask if......

The JET CS 250 Supersaw is 400 squids better than the Axminster AW10BSB2.
I don't want to be outgrowing the machine in a few years time.
My tasks are, for the new house, new built in furniture cupboards etc in ply and solid real wood.
Then it will be to self learn fine carpentry cabinetmaking in real timber, before it's all gone.!

Other machinery questions to follow

thanks
Howard

Howard,

I've been interested in the answer to your question as well. Also how do the SIP and Axminster compare to the Scheppach 2500 (cast iron). On this forum the scheppach always used to be the way to go. I haven't heard of anybody buying one in a long time.

Adding to the Sip vs Axminster .... what about the Fox. This sometimes goes at a very good price (if I remember correctly).

I'll be making the same decision this summer hopefully.

Dave

I can't comment on the other two but I do have the SIP 12" too. It is a brilliant saw with loads of power and very very accurate. I still have the mitre fence with mine and find it OK but I use my mitre saw for most of those cuts anyway. I do not have the sliding table on mine but the two extensions are plenty big enough for me IMHO. :wink:

HowardM":1yc5gb0i said:
Hi,
Can I hijack this thread and ask if......

The JET CS 250 Supersaw is 400 squids better than the Axminster AW10BSB2.
I don't want to be outgrowing the machine in a few years time.
My tasks are, for the new house, new built in furniture cupboards etc in ply and solid real wood.
Then it will be to self learn fine carpentry cabinetmaking in real timber, before it's all gone.!

Other machinery questions to follow

thanks
Howard

I've had some detailed PM's from pdom111 on this one. He's got the Jet and has done an in depth comparison between the SIP and the Jet. He is of the opinion that the Jet is the dogs 'whiskers' :wink: when compared to the SIP. As an example he has examined a SIP where a straight edge put across the cast iron tables was out by 2mm :shock: or so iIrc. I will be looking to change saws in a few years and the JET is the one that's in poll position at the moment...it also got rave reviews recently in F&C from the editor - Rob

Back