Autofeed logistics problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally cleared enough space to be able to rebuild the spindle moulder that I bought. The manual for the autofeeder shows that it can be used both vertically and horizontally but I'm starting to think that they bought the wrong one.

This is as far forward as you can bring the rollers on the horizontal travel.

autofeed1.jpg

autofeed2.jpg

autofeed3.jpg

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong with the universal joints. There's enough forward travel but only with the fence pushed way, way back as to be unusable. It suggests that the mounting plate for the auto-feed is on the wrong corner but there are no fixing holes back right on the moulder.

Any suggestions? Am I right?

I'll give the guys at NMA a call on Monday but they may not be able to help if the auto-feed is not one of theirs. It's an SK-32FD from KUFO or Rexma

Roger,

The rollers should face onto the table not the fence. If you do that I think you will find that there is plenty of reach.

I'm no expert, but shouldn't it also be (at least partly) on the infeed side?

Nick..that was my original understanding but then I noticed in the manual that the unit could be used as shown in the photographs..I guess useful for moulding thinnish stock like an architrave, maybe? And that was what got me trying to make it work in that orientation.

Mark - absolutely...trouble is the arm isn't long enough to span diagonnaly across the moulder worktop so that I can position the rollers on the infeed side. So, unless I'm missing something obvious, it's the wrong autofeed which is a bit of a pain.

Roger, try undoing the top lever on the motor assembly and spin the whole unit round 360 degrees, that way, looking at it from the front the motor is on the right and bracket for the tilt and swivel on the left, that way you should have plenty of length on the arm. If it works that is.

These things are a bit like rubics cubes, the combination of movements is huge, keep playing with it and spining it around and you will find it will reach most places and on different planes.

I've been using these for years and I still scratch my head, trying to position it right but I know it will get there, just got to keep on trying.

orangetlh":3jryfn0o said:
Roger, try undoing the top lever on the motor assembly and spin the whole unit round 360 degrees, that way, looking at it from the front the motor is on the right and bracket for the tilt and swivel on the left, that way you should have plenty of length on the arm. If it works that is.

spinning 360 degrees..doesn't that bring me back to where I was? If I follow you correctly, won't your suggestion mean that the motor is underneath? Don't get me wrong...I welcome the suggestion..maybe I'm not getting your drift?

Senior... only reason I wonder if it's not the right model is because there are four others in the range..30FD, 38FD, 40FD and 48FD..suggesting length of arm maybe? never could do the rubics cube :cry:

Hi Roger,

Can you rotate the head 180 degrees from the first picture?
So that the motor is over the fence?

I have no idea if it will.......just trying to help.

I can see why it is baffling you tho :shock:

can see where orange is coming from as long as theres a joint where the arm joins the motor. they are a pain to set up, but as has already been said keep playing :D
try puting the motor on right of the arm ie infeed side

koolwabbit":15vhhkuj said:
Seems you have the rollers in wrong axis. IMO.

www.wwwsales.net/wood/seco/feeder.htm

According to the manual, it can be used in either axis. The one in my pictures is when you're moulding, say, an architrave which itself is being fed in vertically...so quite thin and to difficult to feed using the rollers in the your link.

But...it's a cracking link, thanks and gives me much more info regarding sizes..and I reckon that I'm right :cry: They bought the wrong one and looking at those prices for new ones, I don't see me buying a larger one !

Just had another play following all the excellent suggestions and this is the only way it can go together and feed in this axis. Basically I removed the feed unit from the arm, laid the feed unit down where I reckon it should go and then tried to find the right combination of joints to couple it back to the arm. Mission Impossible.

Another way, get an extension made for horizontal bar. But I dont know how safe this would be !!

Koolwabbit

hmmm, yes i know what you mean, right.. this is going to be hard to explain! ok so if you get it to the same position as in your first picture.. rotate the motor round anti-clockwise so the motor is over the fence and the wheels point towards you. Then flip it over so the wheels are in the horizontal position. That should reset your joint. If you then stand to the left hand side of the machine, so you have room to spin the arms round, bring your motor assembly round in front of you, keep the top lever tightend up and undo the rotation on the motor and spin the whole unit round in the same horizontal plane anti-clockwise so the motor is away from you and the wheels are then facing you. Then tilt the top of the motor towards you so the wheels are now verticle.

That is of course if you have the ability to spin the whole unit around on the motor rather than the joint on the arm, but all the ones i have seen do have it for this reason

Roger,

looking at the photo's it looks to me as if the horizontal tube is not long enough. I know with some feeders you can get a longer arm as an accessory.

Don't shoot me if you know this already but, the correct position whether vertically or horizontally is to have the cutter block between the first and second rollers ie 2 rollers are on the outfed side of the block.

I can show you some photo's if you wish

Hope this helps.

orangetlh":35jd97rm said:
hmmm, yes i know what you mean, right.. this is going to be hard to explain! ok so if you get it to the same position as in your first picture.. rotate the motor round anti-clockwise so the motor is over the fence and the wheels point towards you. Then flip it over so the wheels are in the horizontal position. That should reset your joint. If you then stand to the left hand side of the machine, so you have room to spin the arms round, bring your motor assembly round in front of you, keep the top lever tightend up and undo the rotation on the motor and spin the whole unit round in the same horizontal plane anti-clockwise so the motor is away from you and the wheels are then facing you. Then tilt the top of the motor towards you so the wheels are now verticle.

That is of course if you have the ability to spin the whole unit around on the motor rather than the joint on the arm, but all the ones i have seen do have it for this reason

It all went fine until the last bit :cry: Mission impossible!

FelderMan":1gd8vql2 said:
Roger,

looking at the photo's it looks to me as if the horizontal tube is not long enough. I know with some feeders you can get a longer arm as an accessory.

Don't shoot me if you know this already but, the correct position whether vertically or horizontally is to have the cutter block between the first and second rollers ie 2 rollers are on the outfed side of the block.

I can show you some photo's if you wish

Hope this helps.

John..that's my thought as well. Gun safely in holster....no I didn't realise that and some photo's would be great. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back