Auto Switch for dust extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powertools":3992ztc8 said:
I've told what item will do it

Which one if you google powersaver adapter theres loads come up all different... Also how long does yours take to power up the vac once you start the power tool . Thanks Andy

9fingers":rxdrk56d said:
There is a related article here http://thewoodhaven.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... =19&t=1961
for anyone who want to use a radio controlled remote switch to control a DC (or other machine) where the machine has a NVR starter and or needs to be powered from a 16amp or higher rated circuit.

Bob

Cheers Bob, looks simple enough. Ill get the DOL cover off later and have a look if I need to replace the whole DOL or not.

Should work on any proper DOL starter. The terminal markings might be different but I've used those that appear to be standard - although I have failed to find said standard written down anywhere.

Bob

I can recommend that eBay seller. I received the sockets yesterday, less than 24 hours after ordering.

I have looked in the DOL and found terminal 95 but no A1. There is a terminal behind L1 which is unmarked. Ill post a picture on a new thread to not hijack this one.

Alan,

The A1 and A2 terminals can be tucked away almost out of site near the base of the DOL starter box
If you feel your query is getting rather specific to your application, feel free to continue to discuss direct with me using [email protected] email addy

Bob

Them sockets I brought work great but forget which remote channel there assigned to when you unplug them, switch off the plug totally or the power goes.

As I have an isolating switch that kills all power when im not around its getting annoying having to reprogram them.

Bob, the ones you brought, do they suffer from this?

Hudson Carpentry":sub3cgdf said:
.... There is no permanent on option (hammer) (homer)
By DOL..do you mean an NVR? I've got the big Axi and that also had an NVR and I wanted to do what you're thinking about. So I swapped a few wires round inside so the extractor is permanently on but now it's powered by my remote socket. You just need to remember that it's permanently on and so unplug it from the mains if you're removing anything from the fan blades.

RogerS":q8pngz2n said:
Hudson Carpentry":q8pngz2n said:
.... There is no permanent on option (hammer) (homer)
By DOL..do you mean an NVR? I've got the big Axi and that also had an NVR and I wanted to do what you're thinking about. So I swapped a few wires round inside so the extractor is permanently on but now it's powered by my remote socket. You just need to remember that it's permanently on and so unplug it from the mains if you're removing anything from the fan blades.

Ill have a look. Im sure it says DOL starter on the label.

Alan,

I'm in the process of remote-ing my own DX. It has an NVR that I'm ditching. It's a bit temperamental starting anyway, as the NVR has trouble latching in.

Instead I'm just using a single pole rotary switch from Toolstation. I stripped the radio-controlled remote down to the circuit board, and modified the switch box to fit it inside, alongside the rotary one.

So the rotary switch kills the DX (but doesn't completely isolate it), for bag changes, etc., and I'll put a big warning label on to warn that you must isolate it properly before trying to clear blockages.

I'm very surprised that the modules you have forget their programming: the ones I got (Maplins) had two little 4-way rotary switches, giving 16 combinations (there are four send channels on the remote, and four sets of on-off buttons). I haven't finished the mod yet, but I'll solder links on the pads where the switches connected to the board. The switching is done by a 3kW-capable relay, so should cope fine with the DX (it's not big - 10A max I think).

I looked at Bob's DOL starter circuit - it should handle the current with more leeway, but mine will fit on my DX better! Pics when I get a moment.

E.

Hudson Carpentry":3b895d5v said:
Them sockets I brought work great but forget which remote channel there assigned to when you unplug them...
Yup, I did mention that earlier in the thread. It is annoying but all the ones I've found with memory seem to have a 1KW limit, which is no good for most of my stuff; and even used on a 1KW hoover they didn't last very long. I've learnt to put up with the annoyance as a trade off for using these ones on most of my extractors; it only takes seconds to assign a button to a machine but.. still annoying to have to do it every day.

I bought a set of Masterplug remote controlled adaptors from Homebase last week and returned them the next day as they would turn on, but not turn off until the remote was held 1/2" away. I'll try B&Q next time as they have more choice.

Hudson Carpentry":hv9pxhbs said:
Studders, I must have missed that. Dope again. What happens if you turn 3 of these sockets on then try to program them to a channel?

Errrrrrrrr... I dunno. :duno:
I generally do it one at a time as I use the machines. I know that you can use the 'All Off' button to switch everything off at once, whether you can do the opposite I'm not sure; may have a go later to see what's what, what. :)

My remote came from Maplin. Handles the loads OK.

The weak point on the first earlier design was the push-buttons on the handset which failed quite quickly.

RogerS":1vw3x6a3 said:
The weak point on the first earlier design was the push-buttons on the handset which failed quite quickly.

Did you try the "liquid soap + 4B pencil" trick? It's kept our Sony bathroom tranny going for several decades.

To be honest, I'm not sure I even really need the pencil: a good, no-glycerine, clean seems to work most of the time. Other people use that conductive silver paint for mending heated car windows (on the membrane pimples), but I haven't had as much success with it. I've also gently abraded the pimples with wet+dry.

Obviously none of the above are any good if the chip dies. It annoys me that Maplin won't sell the controllers separately - all that fuss about eco- friendliness and then encouraging you to throw out perfectly good controller modules when the remote breaks.

E.

Back