auto function on Makita VC3012M 240 V M Class Dust Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsk

Reaction score
Hi all. I just bought one of these. Second hand, but looks new. It works fine except that the power take-off funtion doesn't work: if I put it on the auto setting the vac just switches on like it's on the 'on' setting. Any ideas what could be causing this? or what part i could replace to fix it?

I've had a few similar problems with my Festool extractors over the years. I'm afraid it may be the motherboard (think that's the right name) that has gone. Mine have cost £100-200 to fix. They seem not to like big loads and lots of off-on, so I run large things like the bobbin sander straight from a wall plug, and when I'm using the auto switch, try to leave the tool running as much as poss between operations.

Can you explain how this works?
It uses the same circuitry as in the vac which has apparently failed. The extension lead has a multiway socket one of which is the master. You will plug your power tool, eg, a sander, into that. Plug the vac into one of the slave sockets. When current to the sander is detected in the master socket, the vac will power up.
Brian

Master is the saw lathe or whatever, slave is the vac which will come on as just after the lathe starts. Lathe switch off and the vac will then switch off a second afterwards They date back to old tellies and vcrs, had a revival for the conglomeration of plugs around a desktop, so will switch printer and monitor off. I bought one for my Aldi vac. Peter Millard suggested them on one of his videos, maybe this one:

Last edited:
Kemo make a module that sells for around £30 and switches 16amps.
Just replace the failed circuit with that.
It is fully potted so dust proof and more robust than some of the other solutions.
It can be used to add auto switching to any vacuum. Even a Henry ....

II guess it is down to what the power draw of master tool is. The circuitry in a dusty or warm environment is likely to fail. My lathe is 3 phase drawing over 5 amps on start up and I use a stand alone commercial witched socket box on a lead that sell at £30 - £50. I can't locate the product online any more, and don't really know the correct term for it. The Ivac auto switches are over £100. The wall socket EON plug,( Intelliplug is the other name) are fine for regular use with sanders and tools of say 5 amps. Peter shows his having a 15 amp fuse, but I guess in use any thermal protection would kick in beforehand. The cheap ones on trailing leads sold for computers that I have used soon fail or become unreliable

Last edited:
Back