Author Recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some good authors of historical fiction? Swansea libraries have a free audio book download scheme but only have a limited number of books available right now so I would like to try some new authors.

I'm a big fan of Bernard Cornwell and C.S. Forester so anything similar to them would be good, though I'm open to all suggestions.

For the past couple of weeks I've enjoyed listening to some Andy McNab books in the van so anything like his novels would be good too (special forces, counter-terrorism, hostage rescues etc).

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,

Have a read of some Frederick Forsythe. The Day of the Jackal is excellent. They are all very heavily researched and detailed.

Conn Iggledon did some excellent historical stuff, particularly his Roman series.

Mark

Thanks Mark

I read Conn Iggulden's Roman novels years ago though he's also got a Genghis series out I think. Unfortunately none of his or Frederick Forsythe's novels are available for download.

Mark

Simon Scarrow's Roman series is good. His Napoleon/Wellington series is good too.

You could aslo try Ben Kane and Harry Sidebottom.

For adventure type stuff try Lee Child or Stephen Hunter.

John

Simon Scarrow, Ben Kane, Lee Child and Stephen Hunter aren't available to download yet. I've tried Harry Sidebottom in the past but couldn't get into it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've made a note of them in case they are available in the future.

Mark

Mark, these authors overlap with your interests (special forces, counter-terrorism, hostage rescues etc).
Nearly every author below has published a “series” about a main character who continues across the books.
The fiction timeline of each series can be found at a this website :http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk

Terence Strong
Len Deighton
Tom Clancy
Alex Berenson
Jack Higgins
Duncan Falconer
Chris Ryan
Jack Coughlin
Stella Rimington
Stephen Coonts
Stephen Hunter (already mentions above)
Lee Child (already mentioned above)
Matt Lynn
Brad Thor
Vince Flynn
David Baldacci
Piers Venmore-Roland
James Barrington
Tom Wood
Tom Cain
Marc Cerasini

Hope that helps.

Would recommend Len Deighton to anyone. A first-rate writer, and with such accuracy to detail you could almost use his fiction as non-fiction. If it's historical stuff you're after, he's written some set during WWII. "Bomber" was very good, and "Winter" is epic - I've read it a few times.

Lee Child is entertaining. Also, for crime drama, try George Pelecanos (especially "Nick's Trip").

For life in the Georgian navy, there's only one to consider. Forester and the 'Hornblower' books...forget what you ever saw on film or that appalling TV series a few years ago, I've read them at least a dozen times. For the meanest Greenjacket that ever wielded a Baker rifle in the Peninsular War, then read the 'Sharpe' seres by Bernard Cornwell.

I found some of james clavell (Shogun in particular) a fascinating insight into oriental history and it's collision with the west.

For a thoroughly fascinating and breathtaking (easy read but non-fiction) history of the broad sweep of human history I would recommend 'Guns, Germs and Steel' by Jarred Diamond.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Unfortunately most of the authors mentioned don't have audiobooks available from the library website, though there is a Duncan Falconer book I can download so I'll try that.

I've made a note of the authors suggested and I'll see if I can buy inexpensive CD's/pay for downloads. I usually listen to an entire book in two days, sometimes one, so it'll start to cost a lot if I'm not careful!

Cheers,
Mark

I agree with previous comments and give my vote to Conn Iggulden's series on Ghengis Khan (Lords of the bow etc), and to Frederick Forsyth's Icon, The Fourth Protocol, The Afghan and Avenger. The Ghengis books are simply addictive, and Forsyth's books are really detailed and so well researched. It's a pity you can't get them on audio books, but they are well worth reading. I also find the shopaholic series an easy read and a good laugh.

Finally you could try some of the classics. I know it sounds dreary and boring, but War and Peace is a cracking novel and one of my all time favourites. Also Thomas Hardy's novels are really good, although they rarely have happy endings.

K

I read exactly the same type of books.

Patrick o'brian on audiobook is brilliant. If you want real books I've got a tonne of conn igulden, Harry sidebottom etc etc etc you can have for free.

PM me if you're interested. They're sat in the loft doing nothing as I've moved to ebooks and don't have the space.

Tolstoy 'War and Peace' is good. Keep you going for some time.
Anybody remember Geoffrey Trease "Bows against the Barons" etc? re Robin Hood.

Johnboy":9u90he0b said:
Simon Scarrow's Roman series is good. His Napoleon/Wellington series is good too.

You could aslo try Ben Kane and Harry Sidebottom.

For adventure type stuff try Lee Child or Stephen Hunter.

John

+1 for Harry Sidebottom

disco_monkey79":1ltidmcx said:
Would recommend Len Deighton to anyone. A first-rate writer, and with such accuracy to detail you could almost use his fiction as non-fiction. If it's historical stuff you're after, he's written some set during WWII. "Bomber" was very good, and "Winter" is epic - I've read it a few times.

Spot on! I have the entire set of all of them in hardback...including all the trilogies such as Game, Set and Match.

Latest posts

Back