Auger file

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete W

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a UK source for an auger file? I'm sure I came across one a while ago, but - inevitably - now that I want to buy one I can't find it.

I know there are several places in the US, that have them but it seems a lot of hassle for a simple tool.

Hi Pete,

Someone asked me for one the other week, so I've sourced them and got a sample.

They should be up on the website in the next week or so, in the meantime drop me a PM if you'd like the one I've got here.

Pete W":b4e6u3d9 said:
Anyone know of a UK source for an auger file? I'm sure I came across one a while ago, but - inevitably - now that I want to buy one I can't find it.

I know there are several places in the US, that have them but it seems a lot of hassle for a simple tool.
´

Not UK but Europe: Try Dieter Schmid

http://www.feinewerkzeuge.de/feile4.htm

Scroll fare down.

Cheers Pedder

Matthew, thanks for the offer but I'll wait until you get them up on the website. I'm sure I can find a couple of other things to make up a decent order :)

Pete W":1ntdls2p said:

Snap. :lol: I've been looking for one as well since buying around 20 old bits, every one of which is either blunt or looks like it was sharpened with a 12" angle grinder, by a man with a Labrador. Maybe I'm being unfair on the chap, it may have been the Labrador that wielded the grinder?

I wouldn't want to stand between anyone and a new tool that they really need, but you can do just fine with ordinary needle files.

If you really want to make one face safe, you could try sticking tape over it.

Andy

AndyT":1zly3t73 said:
I wouldn't want to stand between anyone and a new tool that they really need, but you can do just fine with ordinary needle files.

If you really want to make one face safe, you could try sticking tape over it.

I've done the same by just dulling two sides of an old saw file with a grinder. A proper auger file is much better, but you can fairly well sharpen a set of augers with a messed-up saw file as well.

Pekka

Thanks, Andy & Pekka.

The sad fact is that I am file-poor. I have no needle files, and only three new sawfiles still awaiting their first call to action in the saw-sharpening stakes. I do have a bunch of older, bigger files but they were acquired for their ability to shape wood; I doubt they'd do much more than annoy a bit of steel.

So I'll order the auger file when Matthew gets them up at WorkshopHeaven, and I'll look to expand my meagre file collection at the earliest opportunity.

Back