at last a bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
At last I have finished a bowl.
view
[/url]
[/img]
I have done a silly thing, perhaps some one can help me out.
On the end was the name of the wood (Padko) or something like that.
I rubbed it out with the chisel and did not remember what it was, what a wally I am.
Do you think it needs more work done to it.

P.S. I can take all comments good or bad.
view
[/url][/img]

Hi Reg.

Very good for a first attempt. Sorry can't help you with the wood type.

My personal preference, I don't like bowls with straight sides, and when you make a bowl I think the inside and outside shape should match each other, and the bowl should have the same wall thickness all round.

Yet as I often say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" so I still think it is a good attempt, I've seen a lot worse for a first bowl. Keep up the good work.

The wood may be Iroko. It looks very much like some I was given. Was it very dusty to turn?

The bowl looks very similar to the first couple that I turned, so there is no way that I am going to criticise it. :lol: Can't say that the ones I am turning out now are always better either :cry:

Pete

Nice one Reg. I like the way you've mastered that centre 'nipple' effect that so often stumps beginner bowl turners - that can be a real challenge to remove cleanly.

Keep up the good work!

And I reckon it's Iroko too - in case you don't know that's one of the nastier woods to cut/turn. The dust can be highly irritating to skin, eyes and lungs. Approach with caution!, there are forum members who've been made genuinely ill by the stuff.

Hi mate , if it is your firt bowl , here is a pat on the back from me

I have not been turning to long myself so cant speak as a expert

But here is my 2p worth

If that is the shape of the bowl you had in mind before starting and you ended up with what you wanted , then well done , I dont go along with the " bowls should be the same shape inside and out , and must be thin and not have straight sides " if we all did that all our turnings would be the same :!:

One thing I can see is some ridges inside the bowl , its best to try and obtain a nice flowing cut , and get the best chisel finish before moving on to sanding the bowl , any chance you can post a side on and underneath photo of your bowl ?

Keep up the good work and remember , have a practice on some cheap pine , soft wood to get the hang of turning a nice clean inside and outside profile

:wink: :wink:

caretaker":27r1c8zg said:
At last I have finished a bowl.
view
[/url]
[/img]
I have done a silly thing, perhaps some one can help me out.
On the end was the name of the wood (Padko) or something like that.
I rubbed it out with the chisel and did not remember what it was, what a wally I am.

P.S. I can take all comments good or bad.
view
[/url][/img]

May be Padok ?

A couple of Iroko samples for comparison.
DSC00640.JPG

DSC00484.JPG

Padauk is usually much more intensely red and finer grained.
DSC01545.JPG

caretaker":24itjigu said:
Short answer, Yes.

If you do nothing else to your next one at least work more on your sanding of the surface finish, the remaining tool or sanding marks detract from the curvature of the surface, I personally wonder why you need to 'decorate' the bottom with a feature.
The choice of a high gloss finish also serves to show up any blemishes in surface preparation.

If the top two pictures with bowls on it are Iroko than i have to swallow my own words...so there are lines in iroko...but not in mine collection of it.
Well it mainly are planks that i have without any lines.

Nice bowls btw...

Danny

Danny, the growth rings are not obvious in most planks, but a shading occurs similar to Sapele in those I have had contact with, the rings are more prominent in the endgrain when turned, and gross grain on a turned polished surface has a velvety, almost opalescent sheen to it.

Samples Here
Confirmation of correct identification for me that the first bowl was Iroko as marked has been the distinct darkening of the wood since completion, in shoe polish terms, Light tan to Dark tan. (+the fact it nearly hospitalized me with nettle rash in the first instance.)

There is a lot of variety in iroko...I am gonna have a closer look on my stack of wood.

Thanks for the link.

Danny

Blister wrote
If that is the shape of the bowl you had in mind before starting and you ended up with what you wanted , then well done , I dont go along with the " bowls should be the same shape inside and out , and must be thin and not have straight sides " if we all did that all our turnings would be the same :!:

What I actually wrote was -
My personal preference, I don't like bowls with straight sides, and when you make a bowl I think the inside and outside shape should match each other, and the bowl should have the same wall thickness all round.

Yet as I often say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" so I still think it is a good attempt, I've seen a lot worse for a first bowl. Keep up the good work.

I was only giving my personal views, and NOT expecting every/any one to follow the shapes/designs I prefer, but if comments/criticism are asked for surely each of us can only be honest and give our PERSONAL OPINION!

I respect what you have said but just wanted to put on record that my comments were not intended to try and say there was only one way to make a bowl.

Nice bowl Reg,but your still getting those deep gorge rings as before:roll:
When sanding try using a coarser grit to start on a slowish speed,and work your way through to a finer grit to get these irritating marks out.
Getting better though :D
Paul.J.

I don't know if you find this Reg but sometimes I think that I have got all the marks out and then when it come off the lathe there they are :cry:

One answer for me is to give it a coat of sanding sealer, this tends to highlight any marks. Do it stationary (the turning not you) and you will see any defects.

Pete

Bodrighy":1dg2r91d said:
...snip..sometimes I think that I have got all the marks out and then when it come off the lathe there they are :cry: Pete

It's even more frustrating on some hard woods when the gauge marks are gone and you have got to the point of a highly polished surface only to hold it up to the light to find you have myriads of very small, tightly packed, circular marks left by a too coarse sanding disc that were not removed by subsequent grits. :roll:

Thanks for everyone's comments, they all helped.
Tam, thanks for your personal views, that is just what I asked for, I will try more with the shaping.

Pete, you maybe correct about the wood being Iroko, it was very dusty.

Andrew, Iroko for you to.

Graybeard, thanks for your comments on my nipple and Iroko as well.

Danny, thanks to you to.

Blister, not exactly my first bowl but close, will try more with flowing cuts, sorry no more pictures, bowl snapped up by Sally at work.

Chas, I think you are an expert, If I get half as good as you I will be a happy man.

Paul. J, I'm starting to "roll"
I hope I have not missed anyone out.
Now down to some turning....

caretaker":30co4qbm said:
Chas, I think you are an expert,
Far from it caretaker, my skills are limited to a very narrow field as far as turning goes.

One thing I would impress on you from my experience, do not get disheartened if you are having trouble with tool technique, time and practice is a great teacher, things you struggle with today will be done without thinking in a few weeks or months time.
In the interim concentrate on your sanding methods and be prepared to spend longer finishing the piece than forming it, if you can get near to a blemish free finish then whether someone else likes the shape etc. is immaterial, they can only give you due credit for workmanship. How you got there is of no consequence to anybody but yourself.

I'd echo Chas on this. I have found that people who don't turn can think somthing is wonderful whilst all you see is that little bit of end grain that didn't smooth off properly or that slight tool mark. You will never be satisfied with what you do because the more you learn the more you realise there is to learn. That's all part of the slope.

Enjoy your turning then move on to the next one.

Pete

caretaker":2xcbpik1 said:
sorry no more pictures, bowl snapped up by Sally at work.

Reg - there is no greater accolade than your turnings being desirable to other people,so you must have done it right :D

So good luck with the next ones :eek:ccasion5: - looking forward to seeing them.

Andrew

Back