astounding refund policy by SCREWFIX!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt@

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not often lost for words but Screwfix have played a blinder for me today.

10 months ago I paid £350.00 to Screwfix for an Ebac dehumidifier. I"ve used this machine on and off (not much in the summer) and it developed a leak a few weeks ago so I rang Ebac who told me to box it up and they would collect and repair. 10 days later the "repaired" machine arrived back and after 48 hrs use it leaked as before. Also the metal case resonates and creates a racket after the machine has been running a few hours. Now right fed up, I rang the seller (Screwfix) told them the story and they immediately without prompting offered me a replacement or a refund.

Tonight I have delivered the machine to my local SF branch and they have credited my credit card with the full £350 purchase price.

WOW what a truly exceptional service by SCREWFIX!! (and a rubbish product supplied by EBAC)

That's excellent customer service! Its good to hear positive feedback all too often online one only hears the bad things.

I tend to buy mostly from toolstation and Ive found their customer service very good.

First bad report I've heard about Ebac.
I've had my dehumidifier running continuously for 10+ years without any problem.

I always keep packaging and receipts for at least 18 months.
Most retailers will not quibble if you have proof of purchase.
I have bought a few cheap tools from screw fix expecting them to expire quickly but have not had to return anything yet.
I bought a really cheap Titan sds drill from there expecting it to pack up but it's going great and I have really thrashed it. The reason I risked it was I knew I could just take it back.

Glynne":2vc9d0u0 said:
First bad report I've heard about Ebac.
I've had my dehumidifier running continuously for 10+ years without any problem.

what model have you got? I didnt get on with my machine at all - resonated alot, no filter, no way of cleaning it out....

Have returned a few things to screwfix and not had one quibble. As well as items not working, I often over order materials to make sure ive got enough to finish the job, very simple to return. And certainly no mention of a restocking charge like some builders merchants. Thinking about it I cant remember the last time I bought something from a builders merchants shop/counter area now, thanks to screwfix and toolstation.

Hi I have eBac dehumidifier it also had a leak I contacted eBac and they arranged collection repaired and sent it back I contacted them to ask what had been done they told it was smashed in transit so they replaced most of the machine with new parts .
Works fine now been running about a year no problems
They seem good machine to me
Pip

I have been very happy with ScrewFix service. I had to return a cheap electric stapler because the staples I ordered were not compatibile. Due to my urgent need and their stock level I returned everything and bought a different model and spare staples. Nothing wrong with the product at all, no mistake on their part.

last year I bought an expansion cylinder (the type you use on mains pressure hot water systems) from screwfix and on the box it mentioned that the new grey colour was a new coating the manufacturer was using....9 months later it sprung a leak as it had pin hole rusted. No quibble with Screwfix. I happened to have the receipt but they already had the info online so did an immediate full refund. I didnt need a replacement as I had already bought what was in my view a better version 'just in case'. But in the original time of need screwfix were open at 6pm and had the item in stock.

Like others, I can't recall the last time I bought something that screwfix stocked from anywhere else

Dave

I think the thing which amazed with with my dehumidifier is that I'd had it 10 mths and used it then returned saying it was faulty without them asking for proof of that and they just refunded there and then without even asking for a receipt. I had though already rung had office to get a refund ref.

Somebody the other day was moaning they had to wait whilst they gave their postcode at screwfix. I think all the above highlights exactly why its a great reason they ask - they have a record of your transactions.

It's a plus of dealing with a company the size of Screwfix - they are not going to have any problems getting the refund from their supplier/manufacturer. A small merchant can be caught in the middle, and end up losing money money because things can take so long to iron out that they give up trying. A large firm just says give us the replacement or refund - or we don't buy from you again. Size is power.

I have recently completed a good half a dozen little DIY projects largely because I can have a quick look on the website, pick the one I want, pay for it and it's ready when I arrive at Screwfix. No trying to find the right aisle, the staff are all efficient and friendly and it's better quality than B&Q for less money. I am sure better can be had elsewhere but it's good enough. My kitchen sink no longer leaks, my living room has almost a bazilliion mains sockets, the light in the bathroom goes on and off when you pull the cord... Ace.

I use screwfix a lot. It helps that it close to me but also they come into my companies trade days so I know some of the staff.
They have always given great customer service. No quibble on returns. Online orders ready very quick (I can place the order from work and by the time I drive round, about half a mile, it's ready).

As for being asked about postcodes you can get a keyring with a barcode on it. The simply scan and saves you going through it. Not sure if you have to be registered with them for that though (which is free and you get some discounts).

A little tip. If they have two counters, use the trade one. Free tea and coffee if you're waiting. :D

phil.p":1use5trx said:
It's a plus of dealing with a company the size of Screwfix - they are not going to have any problems getting the refund from their supplier/manufacturer. A small merchant can be caught in the middle, and end up losing money money because things can take so long to iron out that they give up trying. A large firm just says give us the replacement or refund - or we don't buy from you again. Size is power.

this is an interesting point - maybe if Screwfix take on a new supplier its written into the contract that there must be no quibble returned goods policy..

They are not as good now they are owned by B&Q but as many have said having a depot in town makes them handy.

I tend to use Toolpost (run by the original Screwfix owner) where I can, they are lots cheaper. involves some minor hassles with delivery though, if you are not at home all day. Doubt we will get a counter in our small town.

Latest posts

Back