Ash timber for a bed build ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWMBO persuaded me to get a tempur when we last changed our bed. We got a bed made by tempur designed to work with their mattress (an ottoman with storage under and the mattress supported by slats). I am a lot bigger than SWMBO but we both agree it is the best bed we have ever had, though I admit it is different and took time to gt used to. We even went with the tempur pillows, I can't quite believe I agreed to get them at almost £100 each, but they are superb.

Terry.

Wizard9999":3940ivrk said:
SWMBO persuaded me to get a tempur when we last changed our bed. We got a bed made by tempur designed to work with their mattress (an ottoman with storage under and the mattress supported by slats). I am a lot bigger than SWMBO but we both agree it is the best bed we have ever had, though I admit it is different and took time to gt used to. We even went with the tempur pillows, I can't quite believe I agreed to get them at almost £100 each, but they are superb.

Terry.

My missus is on her 3rd Tempur pillow and won't have anything else Terry though we wait until they come on offer as you can get quite a chunk off the price. She bought 2 last time and I needed a serious tool buying spree to get over it. :wink:
I tried one and hated it.

She wanted to haul it around Oz last time and wasn't happy when I wouldn't let her. (hammer)

Bluekingfisher":3aelhrc1 said:
I do not wish to seem controversial, however, I cannot understand why everyone accepts, or wants woodedn slats on their beds?

POW were forced to sleep on wood slatted beds, a luxury compared to a damp concrete floors for sure but as a modern bed?? why do we want them. I suspect due to the clever marketing ( to deliver a cheap and inexpensive bed)

I have slept on more sprung base MOD transit beds, with a 2" thick foam mattress then I care to recall, however, one thing I remember is the comfort of them compared to my own 10" 'luxury' mattress at home.

How many of us suffer sleeping problems, including aching joints, backs and especially shoulder and neck problems. We are all getting bigger and heavier yet we strive to sleep on a rigid (or near) base.

After all, we spend approx 1/3 of our lives in bed, might as well be comfortable.

David
MOD transit beds and comfort? For me that has to be one of the truer oxymorons out there! I'm reminded of the young man who joined the Army and every bit of kit they issued him fitted properly and comfortably. He was discharged as abnormal :D :D

Our last few beds have been slats and I wouldn't hesitate to have more. What I do now do is invest in eye wateringly (to me anyhow!) expensive mattresses. Our latest (on slats) provides the best nights sleep I've ever had.

Many hanks for all your replys guys, I have e-mailed for a couple of quotes to make the bed from ash
Hi nick, no plans m afraid its just something I have designed myself
Dave

Bluekingfisher":2i2mc0km said:
We even had a comfort station test session not long ago, whereby lying on a bed with sensors identified where the weight is displaced on any given bed. The weight was all on my upper body, neck and shoulders. The slatted beds with similar mattresses came back with the heavier weight shown on the upper body. Sprung bases distribute the weight more ensuring less pressure on the neck.

I assume by spring base, you mean sprung slats? or are we talking the fishing net of metal that my bed in the 80's had?

Back