ash platter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy43

Established Member
Reaction score
001.JPG
002.JPG
Not posted anything for a while, wanted to make a platter but didn't have any wood wide enough so joined 3 pieces 18"x 6"x 1,1/4". Finished size is 17" x 1" thick, finished with danish oil.
c+c welcome
Cheers
Andy.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,368
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,368
Nice. I didn't realise they were jointed till I read your text below the pictures. Detail on the rim is particularly nice.

Well matched on the join figuring, not obvious on first appraisal.
I like Ash for platters myself, I think they have the potential to maximise the character of the wood.

Brianp":msuxarfy said:
Nice. I didn't realise they were jointed till I read your text below the pictures. Detail on the rim is particularly nice.

Likewise Andy, nice work :)

Cheers, Paul

Very nice, enough detail to add interest without making it "fussy".

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi John
Many thanks for the comments,
Bob
Thanks for the comments, I've put a pic of the back on, in hindsight I should have left a larger foot on it, I am in the process of making some large button jaws to take the foot off it. Similar to the one's I've made here, ( I can't justify paying £165 for the 400mm ones when these do the same job for me.
Cheers
Andy
001.JPG
002.JPG

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 1,052
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,052
As long as you use common sense and have a feel for the loads you are applying to adapted jaws or button replacements it's possible to extend both the diameter and button protrusion a fair amount quite safely, indeed building something that 'contains' a spinning item even it starts to move is far less risk than trying to grip it with shear clamping force on a small area.

Movement can just be responded to by switching off, clamping on a small area that lets go can only be accommodated by rapid ducking if you're lucky or a sharp rap on the face mask or knuckles.

andy43":y4xx2dw2 said:
... in hindsight I should have left a larger foot on it,

Over time I personally have stuck with about 1/3rd. diameter for platters and bowl base configuration, although in use they balance quite well on much smaller bases and there would appear to be a regular aesthetic trend promoted to produce smaller dimensions, I'm happy with the I/3rd and the overall stability it produces for 'users' as opposed to just display pieces.
Something in the region of 1/3rd. diameter also seems a good compromise on any rocking resulting from warping, only bettered or controlled completely by deliberately going for a three point suspension.

CHJ":35chrzvi said:
andy43":35chrzvi said:
... in hindsight I should have left a larger foot on it,

Over time I personally have stuck with about 1/3rd. diameter for platters and bowl base configuration, although in use they balance quite well on much smaller bases and there would appear to be a regular aesthetic trend promoted to produce smaller dimensions, I'm happy with the I/3rd and the overall stability it produces for 'users' as opposed to just display pieces.
Something in the region of 1/3rd. diameter also seems a good compromise on any rocking resulting from warping, only bettered or controlled completely by deliberately going for a three point suspension.

Hi Chas
Thanks for the tip of the 1/3 diameter for bowls and platters, have decided to leave this platter as it is, and will look for a bigger set of buttons for the home made set.
Many Thanks
Andy

This thread may be of interest Andy, I've used MDF and wood 'extensions' at times as limited use 'adaptors' for the odd job.

I also make up some longer buttons by turning thick washers etc. out of old chopping boards to give me depth of location.

There's some home made buttons visible here (outer ones).
file.php

I've got some that stack out to 60mm, used with caution and tailstock safety support they work fine.

Back