ash hi-fi cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexteria

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of a hi fi cabinet that I made for a friend. Is made of both solid ash and ash veneered MDF. It ended up being a VERY heavy bit of furniture indeed. I didn't like using the MDF but it seems that in this country veneered ply is not easy to come by. It will need to be supported in the centre but for now is supported by a bit of scrap.

Cheers

Mark

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

Hi,

I used a water based lacquer (3 coats sanded with 600 grit between coats) followed by 000 wirewool and wax. I find that no matter how carefull I am with the lacquer that I dont get a perfectly consistent finish across large areas i.e. no bubbles and hence the wax. I've seen some people saying that they use a pad rather than a brush but I have yet to try this.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks all.

The panels on the top are granite. They are on sale in ASDA as granite choping blocks :)

Very nice work Mark. I was also going to ask about the insets on the top they set it off nicely. Pity SWMBO doesn't like traditional wood furniture or I could build something like it myself. I find it hard to make anything out of brushed ally and glass. :(

dexteria":3shox56c said:
It will need to be supported in the centre but for now is supported by a bit of scrap.

..alternatively, persuade him he really ought to buy a nice light lcd tv :twisted:

Very nice job though, great idea with the granite panels.

Mark

Adam":3ekmlej2 said:
Nice. I like that lots.
Ash, contrast; yep, that's a given I reckon. :wink:

Very nice, Mark. I too like the cunning use of the chopping boards; ties the speakers in.

Cheers, Alf

Very nice Mark. I've been thinking about something similar as a wrap-around corner unit for TV, DVD, VCR and Hi-Fi and hadn't considered Ash. Looks really nice - I may crib some of your design!

Very nice. =D>

dexteria":3n199jr3 said:
I didn't like using the MDF but it seems that in this country veneered ply is not easy to come by.

Cheers

Mark

Out of curiosity, that statement would indicate that you are from abroad. Do you mind if as a fellow import, I ask from whence you originate? BTW, you can get veneered ply fairly easily, up to 12mm. I've yet to find anyone who does 18mm (3/4").

Brad

Hi all,
Thanks for all the nice the comments although I can't take the credit for the granite chopping board inserts my friend, who the cabinet was for, came up with that one. He had similar furniture and wanted this to match.

I'm pleased to say that he is planning to get an LCD.

"Out of curiosity, that statement would indicate that you are from abroad. Do you mind if as a fellow import, I ask from whence you originate? BTW, you can get veneered ply fairly easily, up to 12mm. I've yet to find anyone who does 18mm (3/4")."

Sorry, just been watching too much NYW and a lot of 3/4" veneered ply being used.

Cheers

Mark

dexteria":2kiw41gt said:
Hi all,
Thanks for all the nice the comments although I can't take the credit for the granite chopping board inserts my friend, who the cabinet was for, came up with that one. He had similar furniture and wanted this to match.

I'm pleased to say that he is planning to get an LCD.

"Out of curiosity, that statement would indicate that you are from abroad. Do you mind if as a fellow import, I ask from whence you originate? BTW, you can get veneered ply fairly easily, up to 12mm. I've yet to find anyone who does 18mm (3/4")."

Sorry, just been watching too much NYW and a lot of 3/4" veneered ply being used.

Cheers

Mark

That'll teach me to assume. :oops:

Brad

i assume that you mean under the bottom central shelf you are worried
about it bending downwards?

normally you might make a deeper bottom plinth,
but have you thought about hiding more support underneath,
maybe if they crossed in the middle, it would help support it.
or an "h" shaped middle piece would do too.

must say i agree a very nice looking piece, be proud.

paul :wink:

It was sagging more than expected due to my friend wanting me to leave the back end opened so he could have better access to the hi-fi gear. The H on the underside sounds good, I think this is what I'll do.

Cheers

Mark

Back