Ash Dogs, Holdfasts & Vice Face Plates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making my bench dogs from Ash dowel. As the vice face plates will have dog holes and the ash dogs will be subject to clamping force. Should I make the plates from Ash, perhaps staining them to match the Redwood if thats a concern?
I've read up a little about holdfasts am I likely to need them at some stage? I found these Gramercy holdfasts which are good quality, from a very reputable seller and at a reasonable price, £42 pair inc vat inc delivery.
http://www.fine-tools.com/holdfast.html

pollys13":11llkc37 said:
I'm making my bench dogs from Ash dowel. As the vice face plates will have dog holes and the ash dogs will be subject to clamping force. Should I make the plates from Ash...?
It's not necessary for them to withstand use if that's what you're thinking. Dogs can be, frequently are, harder than the wood that holds them.

Whether or not to go with ash rather than redwood for the jaws is part of an eternal debate among woodworkers, between those who think jaws should be hard wood to stand up well over time, or soft wood so as not to so easily marr the work. Assuming you choose to go with ash I would suggest lining them with leather.

pollys13":11llkc37 said:
I've read up a little about holdfasts am I likely to need them at some stage?
If you get them you're likely to use them, and if you use them I imagine after the first five minutes you'll wonder how you'd work without them! They're that useful (except to the occasional person who thinks they have no useful purpose, one might be along any moment now to talk you out of buying them :lol:).

The pad on a holdfast can also be lined with leather BTW. Don't know why that's not more commonly done as it makes for a great upgrade.

The pad on a holdfast can also be lined with leather BTW. Don't know why that's not more commonly done as it makes for a great upgrade.[/quote]
OK thanks for the tips.

Back