Ash coffee table finally completed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david simper

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to my photos of the construction of this table. It's not my own design, but does have some variation:

http://public.fotki.com/stanley-clifton ... fee-table/

I'm quite proud of the top: a struggle to get that finish as the grain runs all over the place - I thought that ash was straight grained and that planing would be a doddle - ha ha! I've never known timber for tear out like this - nightmare. Thank God for that cabinet scraper. However, now it's stained and oiled that grain really does look good.

The lid does not sit properly as it has decided to warp slightly and there a number other faults and foul ups, as ever with my pieces. Packing the piano hinge has not resolved the issue. Still, all good fun.

I ummed and aahed about using the light teak stain on ash, but that colour does match our other furniture and has really brought out the grain when combined with the Danish oil.

Now to stop our baby smashing this piece to bits with his wooden toys.

By the way, the captions are written with non-woodworkers in mind.

Hope that you enjoy. :)

I wasn't sure when I saw the photo with just the stain applied, but once you applied the danish oil it ends up looking really great.

Nice work and thanks for taking the time to make such a good set of WIP pics and comments.

Dave,

That looks very nice, :D I can see why you had problems planning the top. :shock:

Good pictures, thanks for taking and posting them, you will shortly be entering the Rouge Gallery. :whistle:

Very Nice table. Good to see all the work in progress. Thats a good idea for storage.
owen

Nice write up - that entertained me during my lunch break today, so thanks for posting that :) I really like the grain on the ash, i'm unsure about the teak-stain but then if it fits in with your decor then fair enough :)

I was interested in reading about your troubles with planing the top. I have the very same job to do and have grain in all kinds of directions, I don't have a scaper plane though so I hope it goes well.

It's a nice design and i'm sure will stand up to your toddlers toys :)

Hi Dave

The oil brings out the grain marvellously. I was a bit wary when I used it on a recent ash project but the oil/wax combo looks great.

banjo

Nice Job, I had the same problem with difficult grain on ash and I also started out thinking it would be nice and easy!.

I actually like the teak stain. At least it won't gradually go from the original beautiful white to a nasty yellow.

Thanks for all the good wishes chaps. There probably won't be a major project for a while; I'm settling down to make some toys as Christmas presents. I will post some of these unless they turn out too embarrassing. Pip pip! :)

Back