Art Deco - good or bad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like British Art Deco?

• Yes, I think it's really stunning

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Some of it, but some of it leaves me cold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only like the "true" French Art Deco style as demonstarted by people such as Jacques Emi

• No. I think it is universally ugly

• Total voters
Hi Nige :D

The barcelona looks ancient and modern at the same time. It fits into almost any setting from airport's (open public spaces) to mountain log home retreat's (private domestic space's). The curved x leg's remind me of the greek klismos form, and the up holstery is just simple classic elegance. The design arrangement isnt contrived or attention seeking; Hard to beat 8)

mr spanton":383cbili said:
Hi Nige :D

The barcelona looks ancient and modern at the same time. It fits into almost any setting from airport's (open public spaces) to mountain log home retreat's (private domestic space's). The curved x leg's remind me of the greek klismos form, and the up holstery is just simple classic elegance. The design arrangement isnt contrived or attention seeking; Hard to beat 8)

I remember reading about it years ago,i believe that was the original commision--for public buildings & such,they also did a bench version & (footstool i think),fantastic timeless design,industrial design at its apex.

regards.

Wasn't it for the pavilion he designed for some Expo-like thing in Barcelona?

Jake":2jslm5c8 said:

not 100% on that--but i know it was for public buildings, i also think there might have been a daybed version as well.

regards.

If your linked webaddress was working scrit, I would love to take a look ! (later maybe)

Mailee wrote:
I love lots of intricate bits and panels.
aarrrgh !!.....I run a mile when customers start wanting twiddly bits and things that serve no actual purpose - functionality is the name of the game.

Everybody to their own though.

Chris.

Hi Jake 8)

Jake":ab5yiu0t said:
It was originally designed & made as a special for the german pavilion at the barcelona exposition in 1929. There seemed to be a lot of that going on in those day's, daring inovation, confidence, optimism etc and showing it off to the public. It often strikes me the number of time's you get architect's who also build chairs (or chairmaker's who also do buildings :lol: )

Latest posts

Back