Arnold Laver (Reading) - hardwood price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I visited Arnold Laver in Reading, as they were mentioned as a good source of hardwoods in a post I read, and they are possibly a little closer to me than Surrey Timbers, where I usually buy hardwood.

After a bit of standing around waiting for someone to show me their hardwood, I was shown a good range of species in a variety of thicknesses, widths and lengths -- this looked good.

I then asked if they had a price list, and was told no. On enquiring about the price for AWO, I was quoted £15.34 for a linear meter of 9"x1" board. I make that £74 / cubic foot (!). Surrey Timbers price is £38 / cubic foot for 1" thick boards. (All prices quoted without VAT).

Have I misinterpreted something here ? Is there a way to get a lower price for small quantities (I assume there would be a better price if I was buying very large quantities).

That seems strange as I use Arnold Laver in Hull and their price for AWO is about £38 per cu ft for 1" boards. ?? I have to say the timber they stock is good quality and they seem very helpful.

I have used Leeds and I find them very expensive on hardwood but not bad on softwood providing that I ring up and ask for a price. I wonder whether it is cash vs account pricing. The stock at Leeds is variable- they are happy to let me search through a pack but much of that pack wasn't very good at all ("prime" euro oak) particularly for top dollar.

They are next door to work so it is convenient but I only really use it for hardwood when it isn't worth the time and fuel to go elsewhere.

Never, ever, ever turn up at a timber merchants or builders merchants in normal clothes always dress the part, preferably smelling of woodsmoke and diesel and looking like a traveller. If you look anything at all like Joe public they will try and have your pants down.
Personally I distrust any organisation that does not have a price list and let's it's counter staff make it up as they go along. I find Travis Perkins worst for this locally, I won't use them unless I am absolutely desperate.

It also pays to spread the love of your purchase habits, merchants are normally much keener when your account is new and the prices generally creep up, relying on your inertia to not shop around.

I have an account with Arnold Laver but always check their Arnold Laver Online price first before phoning as I have had widely varying quotes over the phone.The account price should be, and is, less that the online price.

Thanks for the reponses so far. They hint at what I had suspected.

It appears that their online presence doesn't cover sawn hardwood (unless I'm not searching properly), so that doesn't help for my specific needs.

Any hints on how I might get a reasonable price ... I would only be buying a few cubic feet at any one time ?

ask how much it is if you pay by cash and dont need a receipt. Usually works well for my local merchant. Or just ask if they can do any better price on it.

Cheers
Mark

I think you may try going at a quiet time and speaking to the counter staff. They can sometimes book it through a larger account (as a cash sale though) and their system shows a bigger discount.

Lee, in all seriousness you need to play the game. Ring for a quote, tell them you have been using another local merchant but last time you felt the quality had dropped a bit so you thought you would give them a chance, sorry it's only a small order this time but could they also give you prices for the other materials you use, say sawn ash, cherry and walnut plus sheet materials if they stock them, this infers there may be larger orders to follow. Thinking they are in competition for your business with the other supplier should ensure competitive pricing. Once you are on the system with a discount structure you should be able to get reasonable prices from then on. Takes a bit of brass neck but works, I know I've done it. Don't whatever you do tell them you are a hobbyist, diyer or the like, the will almost certainly treat you as a mug.
Richard

Back