Armoured cable supplier?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Pallet

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hiya ,

I'm looking to run 10mm from home to workshop 15m

Just wondering if you've recently bought some and already done the research on getting the best deal ?

Cheers

above ground or below? What is going to be running in workshop, load, too small cross section and you may get volt drop. Personally i would go for steel wired armoured (swa) if on facebook markeplace type in the 10mm you quote with swa, just found loads. I would also use an earthing rod.

Last edited:
I bought a roll of 2.5T&E + the glands etc from Toolstation - not expensive in the scheme of things - to run power to a couple of exterior powerpoints about 15m up my garden. 10mm wasn't much more . . do you need that, what are you powering?

+1 for TLC Direct. They'll cut SWA to length for you - £6.62 per m or £300 for 50m. They also have a useful voltage drop calculator on their website.

Terminating SWA is a PITA though, without the right tools. YT has some good videos.

If you're doing anything of complexity I'd get a friendly sparks in. They'll have all the testing gubbins and will sign off the work with building regs. If you think you need 10mm SWA it's probably a new circuit and therefore notifiable work.

Call your local CEF. 10mm SWA (Steel Wire Armored) is something they may sell by the meter off a large roll. Exactly what rolls are stocked varies by the branch but being able to get some of these cables by the metre is good and to be encouraged.
My local one keeps the popular flavours of the excellent H07RNF rubber flex by the meter. Great for machines and extension cables.

If you're doing anything of complexity I'd get a friendly sparks in. They'll have all the testing gubbins and will sign off the work with building regs. If you think you need 10mm SWA it's probably a new circuit and therefore notifiable work.
Yes it would be notifiable and more importantly without the test equipment you wll not be able to certify the work as safe, just because it works does not mean it is safe or correct.

How did you work out that you required 10mm and how many cores ? An important consideration in providing any supply is the means of earthing and the construction of the outbuilding.

I use the company below, online subsidiary of Cleveland cables.
Pricing is normally very keen
https://www.superlecdirect.com/cables/steel-wire-armoured-cables-bs5467-pvc/?&conductor[]=10mm²&cores[]=3

It is a pig of a cable to terminate, prepare for cuts! Distribution board might be plastic, I used a metalbox at side of board and run cables through into db, underground in duct to workshop, 6mtr run in total. At sister's, outside on brickwork clipped, tough old cable.

It is a pig of a cable to terminate, prepare for cuts! Distribution board might be plastic, I used a metalbox at side of board
You would not want to terminate a SWA into your plastic consumer unit, what you need is a metal fused isolator clearly labeled as external shed / workshop.

The means of earthing is important especially if your domestic supply is a protective multiple earth system and your workshop has extraneous metal parts and is why this type of installation work should be left to a proper electrician, keep domestic installers away from it.

above ground or below? What is going to be running in workshop, load, too small cross section and you may get volt drop. Personally i would go for steel wired armoured (swa) if on facebook markeplace type in the 10mm you quote with swa, just found loads. I would also use an earthing rod.
It will be above ground, yes just looked on Facebook marketplace there's quite a few but some people want proper money for it I'll keep looking cheers plus I'll get earthing rod.

I bought a roll of 2.5T&E + the glands etc from Toolstation - not expensive in the scheme of things - to run power to a couple of exterior powerpoints about 15m up my garden. 10mm wasn't much more . . do you need that, what are you powering?
It's the power my workshop because before we had building works it turned out the power going to it was just a spur from the main house on one of the sockets rather than a complete separate circuit. So it was recommended to put 10 mm so if I was to ever get a electric car I wouldn't need to run another power it could just be hooked onto that

Back