Are we all OK in the North with the floods ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mseries

Established Member
Reaction score
We have a fair few membes in West Yorks and York area, me included. I hope we haven't suffered in the recent floods. I live on the outskirts of Leeds and don't travel in the city much, my home is unaffected. My place of work is in Mytholmroyd, the building is not affected but sadly the town is a mess. Buildings have collapsed, the main road is cracking, many peoples homes wrecked. I was back at work yesterday and some of the scenes of the clear up are heart breaking. This is a wonderful place to work, the scenary is magnificent, the pace of life is calm, the people are very very friendly. At the moment everyone is working hard to fix things, again, remember this place flooded in 2012.

Please spare a thought for the flood hit areas of the North, donate to the appeals if you can.

We have been watching in despair at the devastation that is happening to the north of us. Our hearts go out to those effected. Here in Devon we woke up to the storm this morning and disruption due to the wind and rain, we also have flood warnings out.
I only wish we where nearer and in a position to help. Any of our members here in Devon are effected and need a hand I will be only be to happy to oblige.

After writing the last post, we are also on flood alert as our local river (100 yards away) is rising quickly. We are also up an incline, but our neighbours are in the firing line and we have been using sandbags to try and protect their properties. It is going to be a long night for them,

don't forget to add a plastic membrane between the sandbags and the house. Sandbags by themselves only slow not stop the water

We used black dustbin bags as water breaks between the sandbags. It's now 10.45pm and the village has not flooded. Hopefully all will be well for our neighbours. If not we will be there to help.

I have experienced being flooded, Dirty, filthy and disgusting, The words just don't cover it.
Trying to clear up is devastating, I Feel very sorry for those caught up in it.
Flooding and dredging need looking into, As someone said recently, £57bn just to get from Birmingham to london 20 minutes quicker, Is this really a priority?
Rodders

blackrodd":17dklekr said:
.....As someone said recently, £57bn just to get from Birmingham to london 20 minutes quicker, Is this really a priority?
Rodders

That's a very good question, Rodders. And I think most sane people would say 'No'.

Panic over, got away with it this time. Lights where on in the village most of the night, but we are keeping our fingers crossed.

Agree with you rodders.

Did you see the picture of the newsagents in Mytholmroyd, water at the top of the door ? The building backs onto the river. I have heard that Mrs Brookes the owner hopes to be open for business on Monday, the PO counter may take longer. That'll be fantastic. The Dusty Miller, the pub that was worst hit (both pubs were flooded out) is opening for a NYE party today.

Regarding the looters, they should be put in the stocks and let the public deal with them

I really do feel sorry for those affected. We went to Selby to assist some friends and their neighbours and on the way we saw the most enormous mass of water covering fields. In the middle of it was what I think was a farm house. Flooded wasn't the word, the water was about a foot short of the roof line.

It's a strange one because until we came to within a quarter mile of Selby itself, there wasn't a hint of flooding anywhere.

It's been an awful lot of hard work for all concerned, but it could have been far worse if not for the assistance of the emergency services, armed forces and volunteers.

Latest posts

Back