apply wax finish on carving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
The missus has asked me to ask you for some tips on applying wax to her carving. She applied Briwax with a toothbrush over Liberon finishing oil and is trying to buff up with a soft buffing brush. At the moment she appears to have a lot of sticky areas, too much wax or not yet dry enough to polish?

I've only used oil and wax on flat surfaces, applied with a cloth, so the brush technique is new to me.

salamander640x480web.jpg

The picture was taken before he wax was applied.

Andy

Hi Andy

Was it Briwax Original being used? If so, it's unlikely it's not dry as this dries very quickly indeed. As time goes by it'll get harder to remove any excess wax as it sets more.
Is it possible the finishing oil wasn't completely dry, bearing in mind that slightly more than desired could have collected in some areas?

You mention that a soft buffing brush was being used to polish the wax - how soft? Our buffing brushes are relatively stiff, which is often what the wax needs to buff it, if the bristles are too soft they won't have much effect. A stiffer brush will also help remove much of any excess wax on the surface.

Thanks Terry,
the finishing oil had been applied at least 3 days previously so I'm sure it was dry. Briwax original was indeed used. I've reconsidered my description of the buffing brush, I do not think it is soft at all. It was bought some years ago as a polishing brush, is curved with an enclosed wooden handle, looks very similar to yours.
We're pretty sure now that the sticky areas were as a result of excess wax being applied, I think the toothbrush was not such a good idea. :oops:

Andy

Andy,
Nice to see that the LOYL has found time to finish her carving - well done, it looks jolly good too.

I hesitate to advocate it but I would have thought that dissolving the excess wax in white spirits would not harm the work, after all this is pretty much the solvent for the wax in the first place.

Back