Applewood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BB - I suppose the other way would be with a maul and froe (think that's correct) to split it into planks or to use some iron splitting wedges and a sledge. Have never done this sort of thing before but iirc apple can have twisted grain so it wouldn't be a lot of use. Still, if the log is straight grained and without knots it might be worth considering.
The other thing to do is to have a trawl thru' t'internet for someone local with a small horizontal bandsaw specifically made for converting logs and have them come to your gaff and do the job for you - Rob

iirc "The Village Carpenter" goes into making the teeth for a windmill and it seemed too skilled a task for the miller to nip out and fashion one up himself. Although maybe if you go back far enough they probably did do that out of sheer necessity.

BB, evidentally you're not equipped for the task of planking this noble lump o' wood and should thus do the decent thing and pass it on to someone who is. My mouse is hovering over the "submit order" button for the Woodmizer as we speak - reply soon. :D

Cheers, Alf

I've heard from people who've done it that being bottom dog isn't that bad, the saw dust is wet and heavy so just falls straight down and you're just pulling the weight of the saw down. The top dog has to lift the saw and has the added pressure of sawing to the line.

There is however the thing about being in a small pit underneath a couple of tonnes of log.

My mate has come back to me about this 'large' log. It's 10cm by 60cm - hardly worth my while planking that! Just about get 3 planks from it, and he wants me to de-branch it as well.

blimey i take it that's 10cm in diameter?

You could make a tool handle I guess?

Latest posts

Back