Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Apple wood T candles holders- learning by my mistakes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

manxnorton

Established Member
Joined
29 Jun 2016
Messages
313
Reaction score
0
Location
Newcastle
I was just about to post this with all the pics and woffle.
But now i'll simplify it.
Ref:
help-with-apple-seasoning-please-t99548.html

[/THE BUILDb]






[/THE MISTAKEb]
Over night... #-o :oops:


Ohhhh well! everyday is a learning day....for me :cry:
Hope you are can point out what I done wrong? or should done.
I don't feel foolish, I donk mind airing my mistakes to all.
Its how I learn. :lol:
Thank you.
BTW, theres going to a loads of questions for yous, and help finding links/pictures for a project I was interest for a long time using epoxy/resin etc. :mrgreen:
Bri
 

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Joined
11 Oct 2014
Messages
8,399
Reaction score
157
Location
cyprus
Be aware that there are quite a few instances of tea lights in wooden holders causing house fires.
Dont put the tea lights too far down into the wood. That will allow the flame to touch the sides catch the wood alight.
This is just one fire brigades thoughts on the subject
https://www.kent.fire-uk.org/your-safet ... ea-lights/

If you felt you wanted that effect you should find some aluminium tube to line the hole with.
 

Tris

What am I doing here?
Joined
28 Nov 2018
Messages
191
Reaction score
28
Location
Moreton in marsh
Think it's just the type of wood, never been able to get a piece of apple to dry in the round without splitting.
Often happens after I've turned it too :(
 

manxnorton

Established Member
Joined
29 Jun 2016
Messages
313
Reaction score
0
Location
Newcastle
Tris":3f3d6s2n said:
Think it's just the type of wood, never been able to get a piece of apple to dry in the round without splitting.
Often happens after I've turned it too :(
Hallow m8,
I'm thinking the same thing :lol:
trying to find my old pics of a custom knife scales I tried with apple wood (handle scales)
think it didn't crack but shucks a lot with the temp changes.
All said n done lovely grain and of course......free :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Later pal.
Bri
 

worn thumbs

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2014
Messages
656
Reaction score
0
Location
Norfolk
I saw the thread title and wondered if T candles are anything like 4 candles......



I'll get my coat.
 

Doug B

Shy Tot
Joined
6 Aug 2008
Messages
3,188
Reaction score
327
Location
@dougsworkshop
If you look at your last photo you will see that the splits radiate from the pith a dark spot towards the centre, leaving the pith in any piece of wood will give a high probability of splitting.
 

manxnorton

Established Member
Joined
29 Jun 2016
Messages
313
Reaction score
0
Location
Newcastle
worn thumbs":ze7pv3lp said:
I saw the thread title and wondered if T candles are anything like 4 candles......



I'll get my coat.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D>
Got some lol.

Bri
 

manxnorton

Established Member
Joined
29 Jun 2016
Messages
313
Reaction score
0
Location
Newcastle
Doug B":3etzopfk said:
If you look at your last photo you will see that the splits radiate from the pith a dark spot towards the centre, leaving the pith in any piece of wood will give a high probability of splitting.
Aye Doug,
is it release stress or something that cracks cause...or something like that I found out whilst reading up.
Once again lads, thanks for tuning in and looking at my woffle :lol: :lol: :lol: =D>
Bri
 

scooby

Established Member
Joined
23 Mar 2006
Messages
512
Reaction score
3
Location
Greater Manchester
Nice work and sorry to see the one that split.

I was going to echo sunnybobs comment until i saw you used led candles. I didnt know there was a such a thing.

My mum is obsessed with scented candles so I made her some tea holders a few years ago from scraps of hardwood. Over the last couple of years, it turned into an addiction and any small scraps were turned into tea lights holders. :| Ive managed to knock that on the head for now lol.
Shes resorted to giving them away as at one point, she had a box with about 40 holders in it (hammer)

Not sure if you've seen these (or if your leds will fit) but they can a nice finishing alternative to just a drilled hole.
http://www.ockenden-timber.co.uk/index. ... ts_id=3059

you can get them cheaper on ebay also.
 

manxnorton

Established Member
Joined
29 Jun 2016
Messages
313
Reaction score
0
Location
Newcastle
scooby":2rn8c6gr said:
Nice work and sorry to see the one that split.

I was going to echo sunnybobs comment until i saw you used led candles. I didnt know there was a such a thing.

My mum is obsessed with scented candles so I made her some tea holders a few years ago from scraps of hardwood. Over the last couple of years, it turned into an addiction and any small scraps were turned into tea lights holders. :| Ive managed to knock that on the head for now lol.
Shes resorted to giving them away as at one point, she had a box with about 40 holders in it (hammer)

Not sure if you've seen these (or if your leds will fit) but they can a nice finishing alternative to just a drilled hole.
http://www.ockenden-timber.co.uk/index. ... ts_id=3059

you can get them cheaper on ebay also.
think obsession in my case lol.
good idea there.
thanks pal
Bri
 
Top