Apple wood T candles holders- learning by my mistakes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just about to post this with all the pics and woffle.
But now i'll simplify it.
Ref:
help-with-apple-seasoning-please-t99548.html

[/THE BUILDb]
lcyOH9c.jpg

a3tEcjg.jpg

qOwlwFj.jpg

4DEB7Pt.jpg

vbGZu3G.jpg

ZFRsq9V.jpg

[/THE MISTAKEb]
Over night... #-o :oops:
9Pc3Pd5.jpg

p41ufA5.jpg

Ohhhh well! everyday is a learning day....for me :cry:
Hope you are can point out what I done wrong? or should done.
I don't feel foolish, I donk mind airing my mistakes to all.
Its how I learn. :lol:
Thank you.
BTW, theres going to a loads of questions for yous, and help finding links/pictures for a project I was interest for a long time using epoxy/resin etc. :mrgreen:
Bri

Be aware that there are quite a few instances of tea lights in wooden holders causing house fires.
Dont put the tea lights too far down into the wood. That will allow the flame to touch the sides catch the wood alight.
This is just one fire brigades thoughts on the subject
https://www.kent.fire-uk.org/your-safet ... ea-lights/

If you felt you wanted that effect you should find some aluminium tube to line the hole with.

Think it's just the type of wood, never been able to get a piece of apple to dry in the round without splitting.
Often happens after I've turned it too :(

Tris":3f3d6s2n said:
Think it's just the type of wood, never been able to get a piece of apple to dry in the round without splitting.
Often happens after I've turned it too :(

Hallow m8,
I'm thinking the same thing :lol:
trying to find my old pics of a custom knife scales I tried with apple wood (handle scales)
think it didn't crack but shucks a lot with the temp changes.
All said n done lovely grain and of course......free :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Later pal.
Bri

I saw the thread title and wondered if T candles are anything like 4 candles......

I'll get my coat.

If you look at your last photo you will see that the splits radiate from the pith a dark spot towards the centre, leaving the pith in any piece of wood will give a high probability of splitting.

worn thumbs":ze7pv3lp said:
I saw the thread title and wondered if T candles are anything like 4 candles......

I'll get my coat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D>
Got some lol.
i49njx6.jpg

Bri

Doug B":3etzopfk said:
If you look at your last photo you will see that the splits radiate from the pith a dark spot towards the centre, leaving the pith in any piece of wood will give a high probability of splitting.

Aye Doug,
is it release stress or something that cracks cause...or something like that I found out whilst reading up.
Once again lads, thanks for tuning in and looking at my woffle :lol: :lol: :lol: =D>
Bri

Nice work and sorry to see the one that split.

I was going to echo sunnybobs comment until i saw you used led candles. I didnt know there was a such a thing.

My mum is obsessed with scented candles so I made her some tea holders a few years ago from scraps of hardwood. Over the last couple of years, it turned into an addiction and any small scraps were turned into tea lights holders. :| Ive managed to knock that on the head for now lol.
Shes resorted to giving them away as at one point, she had a box with about 40 holders in it (hammer)

Not sure if you've seen these (or if your leds will fit) but they can a nice finishing alternative to just a drilled hole.
http://www.ockenden-timber.co.uk/index. ... ts_id=3059

you can get them cheaper on ebay also.

scooby":2rn8c6gr said:
Nice work and sorry to see the one that split.

I was going to echo sunnybobs comment until i saw you used led candles. I didnt know there was a such a thing.

My mum is obsessed with scented candles so I made her some tea holders a few years ago from scraps of hardwood. Over the last couple of years, it turned into an addiction and any small scraps were turned into tea lights holders. :| Ive managed to knock that on the head for now lol.
Shes resorted to giving them away as at one point, she had a box with about 40 holders in it (hammer)

Not sure if you've seen these (or if your leds will fit) but they can a nice finishing alternative to just a drilled hole.
http://www.ockenden-timber.co.uk/index. ... ts_id=3059

you can get them cheaper on ebay also.

think obsession in my case lol.
good idea there.
thanks pal
Bri

Back