Anyone with some knowledge of Japanese Maples?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Thirty odd years ago, my father bought me an Acer Palmatum Dissectum. It became the pride of my rockery area. Every Autumn I dead-wooded it and consequently it became a gorgeous specimen; or at least until yesterday it was. I am laid-up at the moment after knee surgery, and my daughter-in-law, in an act of kindness, decided (unasked) to clear up the patio, which was becoming weed infested. At the same time she 'pruned' the maple, thinking that it's weeping habit was merely overgrowth. Now my pride and joy looks like a lone Acacia tree on the African plains. At 74 years, of age I now wonder if I shall live long enough to see it in its full glory again. :(

Any one with any ideas to keep this shrub alive please? :?
TIA

Ouch. Sorry John, I can't help, only commiserate. They are lovely plants, I had one in my garden and was sorry to have to leave it.
I'm no gardner, but I don't believe that acers are renowned for being tender, so I'd shape it up best as I could and hope that it bounces back.
S

As you see, the 'weeping' foliage has been cut back, but nothing removed from the back or the top. It's still a mound shape (sort of) but the shrub covered the freshly exposed patio section, which it did when the patio was done. (The builders had to tie the shrub back so you can imagine how big this bush was. ) The two large slabs are 24" square BTW. My only hope I guess is a feed of bonemeal and water, water, water!

Thanks again folks. Obliged for the advice. :)

Attachments

• Acer.jpg
    Acer.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 612
  • Acer.jpg
    Acer.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 612
Nothing at all to worry about Benchwayze, its a survivor in that condition, I was picturing the worst, the trailers will grow back easily, about 2 years, always carry out pruning-even light pruning in fall when the sap has dropped-it looks well healthy-lovely

on watering-early in the morning at the rootball only, and after sun has gone down give the foilage a good spray for 10 mins-alls well, feed wont be required until autumn-this will allow the nutrient to permeate the soil around the root ball-over feeding can cause as much damage as under feeding-so sparingly. Acers love dappled sunlight-moist but free draining soil and slightly acid conditions-looks like you picked the perfect spot for that fine specimen 8)

Thanks BWJ.

Yes, it is always healthy in appearance, and the fall colours are like fire.. Natch that I don't want to lose it, so I'll get up early and water! Or maybe do it even-times!

Thanks again folks for the advice.

:D

Latest posts

Back