Anyone with a 3D printer in Sussex

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am making good progress with a restoration project on a Kity 636 planer. It is missing the extraction hoods for the planer and thicknesser modes, however I have come accross some 3d printable files for the machine.

I don't have a 3D printer, but was wondering if anyone locally (I live near Lewes) might be prepared to print the two parts for me! Of course I would gladly pay for the materials involved!

I can upload the .f3d or .STL files, but I will reply with photos of the two parts to give an idea of what they are.

Thanks!

Last edited:
In fact, I think its easier if i do the photos for each piece as a separate reply. This one is for the planer extraction.

Attachments

• collecteur_degau_-_kity_636_-_80mm.png
    collecteur_degau_-_kity_636_-_80mm.png
    284.9 KB · Views: 0
  • collecteur_degauchisseuse.png
    collecteur_degauchisseuse.png
    246.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4781.jpg
    IMG_4781.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4782.jpg
    IMG_4782.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4784.jpg
    IMG_4784.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 0
And these photos are of the thicknesser extraction hood.

Attachments

• collecteur_rabot_-_kity_636_-_80mm.png
    collecteur_rabot_-_kity_636_-_80mm.png
    257.9 KB · Views: 0
  • collecteur_rabot_kity_635.png
    collecteur_rabot_kity_635.png
    188.8 KB · Views: 0
  • collecteur_rabot_kity_636.png
    collecteur_rabot_kity_636.png
    194 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3347.jpg
    IMG_3347.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3348.jpg
    IMG_3348.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3349.jpg
    IMG_3349.jpg
  • IMG_3351.jpg
    IMG_3351.jpg
  • IMG_3352.jpg
    IMG_3352.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3353.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3354.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
If you search for 3d printers in your home town via google you might be surprised how many there are offering this service now either as hobbyists trying to offset their capital costs or at commercial printers. There are at least 3 in my small seaside town.

If you search for 3d printers in your home town via google you might be surprised how many there are offering this service now either as hobbyists trying to offset their capital costs or at commercial printers. There are at least 3 in my small seaside town.
I did have a search on facebook as I was hoping to find exactly that, someone local with a printer who was offsetting costs. Sadly I couldn't find anyone nearby! I will keep searching.

The parts will need a bed size >250mm which I understand is quite large for the 3D printing world.

OK >250mm... I was going to ask how large the parts were, as anything that needs a bed over about 220mm square does limit your available options.

If you can post the STLs (or a link to the designs) I could chuck them into Cura and have a look if it might be possible to segment them for printing on a "normal" sized machine.

I did have a search on facebook as I was hoping to find exactly that, someone local with a printer who was offsetting costs. Sadly I couldn't find anyone nearby! I will keep searching.

The parts will need a bed size >250mm which I understand is quite large for the 3D printing world.
I'm in Rottingdean, so just down the road from you. I've got a Prusa i3, max print vol 25 x 21 x 21, so probably not quite big enough for these items unless sploo can come up with a cunning plan.

Thanks all for your responses, for some reason I can't upload the .STL files here so instead here is a link:

https://sendanywhe.re/7L19P5WD
One is the planer port, the other is the thicknesser port. They have 100mm outlets but I have a 50mm extraction system at the moment. One day I hope to have room for a 100mm system so I feel like it makes more sense to make them with 100mm outlets and then use a 100mm-50mm reducer for now, rather than make a set of 50mm ones and then have to make another set at a later date...

I expect them to undergo mild-moderate wear and tear, they shouldnt be taking a hammering in use, but I would expect to drop them on the floor a couple of times every now and again etc! I don't know how well they will enjoy being printed in parts, I don't really know anything about PLA or 3D printing, so I should be grateful for the advice of people with experience in this sort of thing.

Thanks all for your responses, for some reason I can't upload the .STL files here so instead here is a link:

One is the planer port, the other is the thicknesser port. They have 100mm outlets but I have a 50mm extraction system at the moment. One day I hope to have room for a 100mm system so I feel like it makes more sense to make them with 100mm outlets and then use a 100mm-50mm reducer for now, rather than make a set of 50mm ones and then have to make another set at a later date...

I expect them to undergo mild-moderate wear and tear, they shouldnt be taking a hammering in use, but I would expect to drop them on the floor a couple of times every now and again etc! I don't know how well they will enjoy being printed in parts, I don't really know anything about PLA or 3D printing, so I should be grateful for the advice of people with experience in this sort of thing.
ABS would be a good choice for strength and longevity, especially if exposed to sunlight

I had a look at the files in Cura (set up for my Ender 3 v2). Certainly they're way too big to print in one go on a "standard" sized FDM printer.

The free Autodesk Meshmixer tool can be used to slice them up (using the Plane Cut feature), but unfortunately they're not only too wide for the build plate, they're also too high (so a simple split down the middle into two parts still isn't enough as they exceed the build height). Splitting them up into three or four parts (then gluing the result together) would be an option; though a fair bit of work to both print, clean up, align, and glue.

Finding someone with one of the larger printers would probably be easier.

Back